Contrary to what your mum might think, cannabis isn’t just the preserve of rappers, ska punk fans and Camden-bound French exchange students: it’s a booming market, and a legal one too, in places. Last year, Pentagram branded Snoop Dogg’s line of weed-based products, and now Brooklyn-based designer Phillip Fivel Nessen has got in on the sweet Mary Jane action, with his lovely and colourful packaging designs for Plus Gum. The chewy stuff is infused with cannabis, dubbed “high-end medical and legal recreational marijuana gum.”
Phillip explains: “As a bunch of former developers, they brought some mad science to bear on their product, creating an edible that won’t leave you debilitatingly toasted for 15 hours, melting into your futon, but could act as a replacement for a beer or two.
“I was approached to create an identity and package design that would express the brand’s healthy, sophisticated values.”
The structural packaging was designed alongside Dale Trigger, and the look and feel is one that’s fresh, fun and distinctly different to the leaves and murky tones we’d usually associate with all things ganja-based.
- Yukai Du transports us to galaxies far, far away in TED-Ed animation
- Illustration galore: it's February's Things!
- The past, present and future of gaming on The It’s Nice That Podcast
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Hanne Berkaak’s deeply moving and sensitive animation tackling self-harm
- Apple to open its Norman Foster-designed campus in April