How to make the portrait shot more interesting? How about photographing your sitter in position, making multiple prints of those images, folding the prints into a maddeningly complex origami modular construction, placing it in front of the sitter’s face and then re-photographing the entire pose from scratch? Sound complicated? It’s just part of the process for the fantastically talented photographer Alma Haser whose work Cosmic Surgery saw her shortlisted for the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Award back in 2012.
One year later, one Magenta Foundation’s Bright Spark Award under her arm, three exhibitions down and a nomination for the Taylor Wessing Photographic Award for the second year running, Alma’s work is getting more attention than ever.
And we can understand why; her work tempts us in, hinting at a hidden narrative lurking behind the portrait, the unsettling images of mothers holding children with manipulated faces, once familiar, now unnerving, or the young woman looking out of the shot as she transforms into something alien yet somewhat beautiful. So Alma leaves us trapped somewhere between desire and disgust, unsure whether to trust the utter magnificence of the final shot.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant