This morning at the It’s Nice That office we’ve been listening to Editor Liv Siddall’s “Dad Car Mixtape”’ which includes all the greats like U2 and B.B King and The Kinks. It therefore seems kind of like fate that we stumbled across Eilon Paz’s blog Dust & Grooves, an incredible archive of photographs and interviews with record collectors from around the world. The pictures are refreshingly natural and celebratory, and the collections documented are not too Dad-rock or nostalgic at all. Instead they’re unusual and surprising, kind of like Steve Buscemi’s immaculate collection in Ghost World.
Eilon is a record collector himself, and through years spent scouring the narrow and dark isles of dusty vinyl shops in New York, he began to find a network of other record enthusiasts around the city, who he decided to photograph and write stories about. Eilon’s archive of collectors has rapidly grown, and he’s now met and photographed an impressive 130 of them, including DJ Scruff with his towering library of records in Manchester, and Alessandro Benedetti from Italy, who boasts the Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of vinyl. Like all of the best collectors, Eilon is still on the hunt for new stories, and looking through the treasure trove of where he’s been and who he’s met and the places he’s found, it’s easy to say that Eilon has accumulated quite a collection.
- Parallel Teeth's cheery world of egg eyes, animated cut-outs and weird illustrated characters
- Will Dohrn directs dreamy video “Ribbons” for Club Kuru
- Inès Longevial’s deliciously rich geometric paintings
- Illustrator Richard Ellis’ joyfully large-breasted and bare-bottomed characters
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know