How refreshing to be picked up from a brightly-lit office and transported to the dark streets of Hollywood at midnight. Not the Hollywood you may expect in films, with the burning lights of parties, movie stars on every corner and Julia Roberts whizzing past in the Lotus Esprit from Pretty Woman. This is a different Hollywood, the one you’d find if you booked your flight tomorrow and went for a nighttime stroll upon arrival.
Photographer Janna Ireland has chosen to capture the petrol stations, hotel lobbies, car parks and street lights of Tinseltown rather than the things we normally associate with this curious place. Even though the subject matter of this shoot is really just images of the things you get in every city, she’s still kept some of the magic in tact. Give you the chills? Me too.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August