Teenage years are often glamourised as a time of exploration, passion, sex and discovery – which is true in some cases. But amidst the excitement brewing for a long life ahead, there’s often a lot of waiting around. Waiting for a lift, waiting for your friends to get ready, waiting to be legally allowed to buy alcohol, waiting for someone to have a crush on you…I mean, it’s long! That’s why these photos by Petra Collins are so great, they totally capture the sheer drawn-out nature of teenage years.
Entitled The Teenage Gaze, this series explores youth through the eyes of, well, youth. The photos hint at the good and bad parts of the glory years – spots, car journeys, lino, loafers and a vague haze surrounding it all, which is precisely the reason why Ryan McGinley is her number one fan. Check out the photos of a similar nature that Petra took for the Rookie Yearbook 2 over on her site.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"