Teenage years are often glamourised as a time of exploration, passion, sex and discovery – which is true in some cases. But amidst the excitement brewing for a long life ahead, there’s often a lot of waiting around. Waiting for a lift, waiting for your friends to get ready, waiting to be legally allowed to buy alcohol, waiting for someone to have a crush on you…I mean, it’s long! That’s why these photos by Petra Collins are so great, they totally capture the sheer drawn-out nature of teenage years.
Entitled The Teenage Gaze, this series explores youth through the eyes of, well, youth. The photos hint at the good and bad parts of the glory years – spots, car journeys, lino, loafers and a vague haze surrounding it all, which is precisely the reason why Ryan McGinley is her number one fan. Check out the photos of a similar nature that Petra took for the Rookie Yearbook 2 over on her site.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery