“Pimo and Rex are two gallant bon vivants who don’t miss out on any adventure. On their steeds they bomb down the woods. The worries life as an artist involves are already forgotten when entering the next tavern, at last Rex has great news to announce. His fiancé Leopold finally has proposed to him, garnished with a magical betrothal gift: an enchanted scroll able to teleport Rex home immediately in time of need. Not knowing how useful this gift will be the two friends are celebrating the happy event.”
In spite of the fact that the blurb for this wonderful comic has clearly been forced through an inferior online translation tool, Pimo and Rex is an absolute joy to read. Though the text above would suggest otherwise, the dialogue between characters is fantastic, spoken as from the mouths of a couple of English dandies – witness all the “Splendid!” and “Crikey!” The drawing is excellent too, combining smoothly executed line work with incredibly rich colour palettes. All in all this new title from Rotopol Press shows off an incredible array of skills from its young creator Thomas Wellmann, and if you still can’t figure out the storyline from that introductory paragraph just take my world for it; it’s epic!
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again