“Pimo and Rex are two gallant bon vivants who don’t miss out on any adventure. On their steeds they bomb down the woods. The worries life as an artist involves are already forgotten when entering the next tavern, at last Rex has great news to announce. His fiancé Leopold finally has proposed to him, garnished with a magical betrothal gift: an enchanted scroll able to teleport Rex home immediately in time of need. Not knowing how useful this gift will be the two friends are celebrating the happy event.”
In spite of the fact that the blurb for this wonderful comic has clearly been forced through an inferior online translation tool, Pimo and Rex is an absolute joy to read. Though the text above would suggest otherwise, the dialogue between characters is fantastic, spoken as from the mouths of a couple of English dandies – witness all the “Splendid!” and “Crikey!” The drawing is excellent too, combining smoothly executed line work with incredibly rich colour palettes. All in all this new title from Rotopol Press shows off an incredible array of skills from its young creator Thomas Wellmann, and if you still can’t figure out the storyline from that introductory paragraph just take my world for it; it’s epic!
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale