“Pimo and Rex are two gallant bon vivants who don’t miss out on any adventure. On their steeds they bomb down the woods. The worries life as an artist involves are already forgotten when entering the next tavern, at last Rex has great news to announce. His fiancé Leopold finally has proposed to him, garnished with a magical betrothal gift: an enchanted scroll able to teleport Rex home immediately in time of need. Not knowing how useful this gift will be the two friends are celebrating the happy event.”
In spite of the fact that the blurb for this wonderful comic has clearly been forced through an inferior online translation tool, Pimo and Rex is an absolute joy to read. Though the text above would suggest otherwise, the dialogue between characters is fantastic, spoken as from the mouths of a couple of English dandies – witness all the “Splendid!” and “Crikey!” The drawing is excellent too, combining smoothly executed line work with incredibly rich colour palettes. All in all this new title from Rotopol Press shows off an incredible array of skills from its young creator Thomas Wellmann, and if you still can’t figure out the storyline from that introductory paragraph just take my world for it; it’s epic!
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Considered, understated but experimental work from Berlin studio Tim+Tim
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Unusual perspectives on imagined architectures by Atelier Olschinsky
- Photographing the migrant crisis with a focus on people, not sensationalism
- What are creatives' favourite words?
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- Printed Pages SS16 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints and more!
- Rome-based Andrea Chronopoulos’ illustrations are quirky and a little bit cheeky
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled