London boasts a plethora of good design events but the POINT conference which takes place in May comes onto the scene with a real heavyweight pedigree. The brainchild of designers Robin Richmond, Tim Fendley and Georgia Fendley, this year’s inaugural event in London brings together 40 speakers plus film screenings and workshops based around the theme “authenticity.”
At its heart is a simple but powerful aim – “to champion the power of design, innovation and creativity, to reflect on the extraordinary creative capital we enjoy in the UK and to make sure we value it, utilise it and protect it for the future.”
And if the inspiring line-up is anything to go by, they are well on the way to realising these admirably lofty ambitions with a stellar list of design greats and innovative thinkers signed up to share their wisdom. From Jonathan Barnbrook to Erik Spiekermann, Morag Myserscough to Seymour Chwast, Lucienne Roberts, Jay Osgerby & Edward Barber, the team behind the Comedy Carpet (Why Not Associates and Gordon Young) and even Milton Glaser via video link from New York, there promises to be no end of thought-provoking ideas and insights.
Tickets are on sale now priced £300 for professionals (rising to £400 in March) and £180 for students. It’s Nice That has ten pairs of tickets to give away for the May 2-3 extravaganza – keep your eyes on our Twitter feed to find out how you can win!
- Artful fashion reportage from New York photographer Landon Nordeman
- My Name is Wendy creates beautiful posters celebrating French poet Stéphane Mallarmé
- Experiments in geometric shapes, cut-out, collaged and drawn typography by artist Michael Morris
- Gwendal Le Bec’s new website is chock-full of wonderful new work
- Jonny Seymour’s cute and strange photo series of six-year-old Chinese kids’ “graduation”
- Ibán Ramón creates refreshingly simple identity for a Spanish food festival
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Surreal, disturbing, NSFW and utterly thrilling: the work of Jon Rafman
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Ustwo says RELAX! with new meditation app Pause
- Publishing platform Medium launches its new identity