As objects of design festishisation go, classic cars are particularly adept at getting pulses racing. For the summer issue of Port magazine out this week, creative director Kuchar Swara has teamed up with photographer Michael Bodiam to investigate our bordering-on-weird relationship with these beautiful vehicles. As the piece puts it: “The best cars enliven the senses with a hedonistic mix of adrenaline and desire…the way we think about the automobile is emotional as much as it is mechanical.”
Expert Nigel Case picked out five of his favourites, merely the names of which conjure up ocean-side James Bond adventures:- the 1963 Jaguar E-Type 3.8 FHC Series 1, the 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, the 1964 Jensen CV8 MKII, the 1963 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe and the 1971 Fiat 500L (Cinquecento).
Nigel’s passion for these cars pours forth from his prose. The Frogeye has “humble underpinnings wrapped in an exciting and elegant body” while the Jag is “achingly beautiful.” And Michael and Kuchar have done a brilliant job at translating the sheer sensuality of Nigel’s text into visuals – sleek, dynamic and palm-moisteningly exciting.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting