As objects of design festishisation go, classic cars are particularly adept at getting pulses racing. For the summer issue of Port magazine out this week, creative director Kuchar Swara has teamed up with photographer Michael Bodiam to investigate our bordering-on-weird relationship with these beautiful vehicles. As the piece puts it: “The best cars enliven the senses with a hedonistic mix of adrenaline and desire…the way we think about the automobile is emotional as much as it is mechanical.”
Expert Nigel Case picked out five of his favourites, merely the names of which conjure up ocean-side James Bond adventures:- the 1963 Jaguar E-Type 3.8 FHC Series 1, the 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, the 1964 Jensen CV8 MKII, the 1963 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe and the 1971 Fiat 500L (Cinquecento).
Nigel’s passion for these cars pours forth from his prose. The Frogeye has “humble underpinnings wrapped in an exciting and elegant body” while the Jag is “achingly beautiful.” And Michael and Kuchar have done a brilliant job at translating the sheer sensuality of Nigel’s text into visuals – sleek, dynamic and palm-moisteningly exciting.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”