As objects of design festishisation go, classic cars are particularly adept at getting pulses racing. For the summer issue of Port magazine out this week, creative director Kuchar Swara has teamed up with photographer Michael Bodiam to investigate our bordering-on-weird relationship with these beautiful vehicles. As the piece puts it: “The best cars enliven the senses with a hedonistic mix of adrenaline and desire…the way we think about the automobile is emotional as much as it is mechanical.”
Expert Nigel Case picked out five of his favourites, merely the names of which conjure up ocean-side James Bond adventures:- the 1963 Jaguar E-Type 3.8 FHC Series 1, the 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, the 1964 Jensen CV8 MKII, the 1963 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe and the 1971 Fiat 500L (Cinquecento).
Nigel’s passion for these cars pours forth from his prose. The Frogeye has “humble underpinnings wrapped in an exciting and elegant body” while the Jag is “achingly beautiful.” And Michael and Kuchar have done a brilliant job at translating the sheer sensuality of Nigel’s text into visuals – sleek, dynamic and palm-moisteningly exciting.
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs