The pre-orders have closed kids which can mean only one thing, Printed Pages SS15 has launched OFFICIALLY! Please, no more rapturous applause, we’ve got a lot to tell you about the contents of this new issue and so little time to do it. So without further ado…
We kick off the first issue of 2015 with illustrator Jordy van den Nieuwendijk ruminating on how he might be a better person and drawing his dear old nan a picture, then we segue seamlessly into an interview with Gail Bichler, design director of The New York Times Magazine where she tells us the story of her rise to publishing superstardom. After that we dip into the incredible history of rock’n’roll tour photography as told by some of the best photographers who’ve taken to the road with their favourite bands.
We’ve got an archive of fruit wrappers from NB Studio’s Tom Moloney and then a big old chat with Charles Burns about California’s punk scene in the 70s and drawing his mid-life crisis. Music video directors Encyclopedia Pictura discuss some of their best work, we show off even more nudie sun bathers and then we’re out in Cape Town stalking Dan Wieden around a conference to see how the great man lives.
There’s a short parody of some of our least favourite private views and an exclusive look at the sketchbooks of design legend Alan Fletcher. We head to Montreal to take a look at one of Canada’s favourite cities from the perspective of its creative community.
There’s more in there too; like an in-depth interview with photographer Viviane Sassen on the occasion of her recent show at London’s ICA, an essay on the evolution of life drawing, some thoughts on why going behind the scenes of the creative process can be a bit tedious and some of the best design studio names around. Then David OReilly finishes things off by taking a swing at design magazines.
That’s pretty much yer lot. And this is what it looks like…
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris