At any Sunday league football game there are certain phrases you always hear. “Let’s get at it lads!” “Offside?! Lino! Lino!” and perhaps more surprisingly “Has anyone got any tape?” Tape plays a pivotal role in amateur footy, from securing the nets to holding shin pads in place, so it seems appropriate that London design studio GBH has created PUMA’s new typeface out of gaffer tape.
Inspired by the brand’s Make Football Anywhere” DIY campaign, GBH wanted to capture the “raw, passionate enthusiasm” of grass-roots football.
“The start point was to order 150 rolls of tape and begin experimenting with folding, ripping and sticking it into shapes, to form a full Roman alphabet and the all-important kit numerals,” GBH’s Jason Gregory told It’s Nice That.
“Once we were satisfied with the look and proportion of each character, type impresarios Dalton Maag were brought in to help develop the full Roman character set, and under the art direction of GBH, add all European accents before building a fully working, digitised font.
“The finished result is not only a unique typeface which stands out from the competition, but a typeface which clearly stands out on the pitch for its legibility and brevity.”
Not only is it an eye-catching design, it’s also a nice link between the world-class talents who will wear the typeface on their kits and those who play football simply for the love of it. Speaking from experience, amateurs can sometimes feel completely alienated from the slick superstars they emulate (badly).
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant