Rafaël Rozendaal recently announced that he has now made 100 websites, cool! We wanted to honour the man that has single-handedly made wasting time in front of a screen worthwhile, and so we’ve made a list of our favourite pieces by the man himself. It’s Friday, sit back and let your eyeballs enjoy the next 15 minutes…
Rafaël Rozendaal: Much Better Than This
This is my personal favourite. You’re not normally supposed to look at people snogging in the street, and you can’t watch yourself do it unless you stand by a mirror (but that’s creepy) so Rafael’s colourful rendition of a good old fashioned make-out is ideal. Kind of hypnotic, and arty enough to watch for ages at work without getting told off.
Rafaël Rozendaal: Looking at Something
Were you the kind of kid who melted ants with a magnifying glass out in the garden? If so, you’re probably a psychopath now, but if playing God is your thing then Looking at Something is the perfect Rozendaal creation for you. Move your mouse around to adjust levels of sunshine and rain according to your mood, personally I prefer the thunder.
Rafaël Rozendaal: Into Time
This one’s tasty, and it takes no effort at all. Sit back and watch as a fluoro snake bounces around the walls of your computer. If you want to change the colour, just click. How can something so simple be so unbelievably pleasurable? This is what computers were really made for.
Rafaël Rozendaal: Falling Falling
Hmm this one’s a bit more stressful, layers and layers of jagged colour falling rapidly on top of one another. Feels a bit like you’re in a storage cupboard full of bright fabric and you’ve just pulled one out of the bottom of the pile and are now being submerged by toppling blocks of colour. You know?
Rafaël Rozendaal: To The Water
Mmmm a cold glass of water. Want some? You can’t have it. Try and grab it with your mouse and it moves sneakily our of your grasp, a bit like Tantalus in ancient Greek mythology. He wants those juicy grapes so badly, but he’s never going to get them. Move your mouse up and down to control water levels too – satisfying!
Rafaël Rozendaal: Color Flip
One for all you graphic design or print nerds out there, this is like an infinite pad of coloured paper that you can peel and tear at your disposal without having to worry about recycling. Perfect.
- Rodion Kitaev illustrates the goings on of an office party in mammoth detail
- Makings of a Man: It’s Nice That and Harry’s invite you to be a life model for a day
- A higgledy-piggledy, funny yet tragic tale: The Romance of the Skeleton
- Tiago Galo’s refreshing, travel-themed illustrations remind us of sunnier times
- Artist Morgan Blair on her “pathological need to make you laugh”
- Lennarts & de Bruijn’s “hot as hell” campaign for Utrecht club, Ekko
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books