Cycle enthusiasts be warned, there’s a new place in town for you to splurge away your hard-earned salary in a matter of minutes, sedated by the enticing smell of fresh croissants, piping hot coffee and the comforting sound of road-race commentary. Rapha, the most premium of all cycle apparel manufacturers, has just opened a brand new permanent cycle club in London’s Soho and it’s a wonderful place to be.
Designed by Brinkworth, the space shows off a delicate balance between retail environment and café with merchandise spread liberally over the white walls, enticing you all the while to make an essential purchase while you enjoy your morning espresso. Stepping into the space in my commuting lycra and high-performance windbreaker I was greeted by staff and fellow customers alike with the warm embrace of an old friend, welcomed into the bosom of the club to enjoy my breakfast and engross myself in an abundance of cycle literature, having hung my bike in one of many free racks within the shop’s interior.
I left without making a purchase, but I’ll be back, with a debit card in hand and a hunger for warm pastries. I defy you all not to feel the same.
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs