We’ve long championed Melbourne-based photography publication This is the Same Ocean – and with good reason. Curated, edited and published by Samuel J Davidson and designed since issue five by Dutch graphic designer Marijn Degenaar, This Is The Same Ocean is now in its sixth issue and looking even better than ever.
This time round, This is The Same Ocean features a softly shot monochrome portrait as its cover from Foam Talent Heikki Kaski. Filling the inside pages are dreamy, laid-back images that have us lusting after summer from photographers Tine Bek, Shannon May Powell, Lola Paprocka and Victoria Zschommler, Kaski, plus an appearance from editor Samuel J Davison (because if you can’t star in your own magazine, well, what’s the point?). Working with print studio Dawn Press, Samuel tells us: “This Is The Same Ocean’s production methods continue to evolve, with issue six featuring a combination of three and four-colour Risograph prints”.
- Activism, raving and vintage cookbooks – highlights from Nicer Tuesdays June
- Patrick Savile’s dreamy designs draw from 70s airbrush art, Roger Dean and Turing patterns
- Illustrator Nathan Cowdry depicts an unusual dialogue between two strangers in his new comic, Shiner
- Our round-up of this year’s UK grad show identities and show designs
- Nathalie du Pasquier opens first solo show in UK for almost 25 years
- Photographer Ian Kenneth Bird shares his top photobooks
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy