Now for a photo series which is more like a visual collage of powder pink walls, retro radiators, tessellated geometric patterns and flashes of vibrant greenery than your traditional portrait, landscape or studio still life image. Austria-born photographer Rosa Rendl is the one we have to thank for such an aesthetically pleasing combination of angles. She is based between London and Vienna, but these images were taken in Paris, a fact which seems neatly suited to the romantic way the surfaces knit together in spite of their spatial divisions.
Though they are dreamily abstracted to the extent that they don’t really seem to subscribe to any particular subject, the photographs are in fact all of the interior of a building, photographed from very short distances in order to reduce the surfaces to their most plane-like dimensionality. Flatness doesn’t usually come paired with attributes of warmth or hospitality, but somehow the pastel shades in these photographs seems to beckon you closer with a “come hither” bat of the lashes. Here’s hoping for another dose of fanciful curiosity from Rosa very soon.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)