Now for a photo series which is more like a visual collage of powder pink walls, retro radiators, tessellated geometric patterns and flashes of vibrant greenery than your traditional portrait, landscape or studio still life image. Austria-born photographer Rosa Rendl is the one we have to thank for such an aesthetically pleasing combination of angles. She is based between London and Vienna, but these images were taken in Paris, a fact which seems neatly suited to the romantic way the surfaces knit together in spite of their spatial divisions.
Though they are dreamily abstracted to the extent that they don’t really seem to subscribe to any particular subject, the photographs are in fact all of the interior of a building, photographed from very short distances in order to reduce the surfaces to their most plane-like dimensionality. Flatness doesn’t usually come paired with attributes of warmth or hospitality, but somehow the pastel shades in these photographs seems to beckon you closer with a “come hither” bat of the lashes. Here’s hoping for another dose of fanciful curiosity from Rosa very soon.
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”