Now for a photo series which is more like a visual collage of powder pink walls, retro radiators, tessellated geometric patterns and flashes of vibrant greenery than your traditional portrait, landscape or studio still life image. Austria-born photographer Rosa Rendl is the one we have to thank for such an aesthetically pleasing combination of angles. She is based between London and Vienna, but these images were taken in Paris, a fact which seems neatly suited to the romantic way the surfaces knit together in spite of their spatial divisions.
Though they are dreamily abstracted to the extent that they don’t really seem to subscribe to any particular subject, the photographs are in fact all of the interior of a building, photographed from very short distances in order to reduce the surfaces to their most plane-like dimensionality. Flatness doesn’t usually come paired with attributes of warmth or hospitality, but somehow the pastel shades in these photographs seems to beckon you closer with a “come hither” bat of the lashes. Here’s hoping for another dose of fanciful curiosity from Rosa very soon.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design