Nobody makes fan art these days. Everyone’s too busy updating their Instagram, or Twittering, or doing stuff on Skype and that. Plus there’s so many bands to listen to now that music is basically free that it’s nearly impossible to choose what you actually like. Are you into rap or is it actually death metal that floats your boat? Gahd, it’s all so complicated!
Still, London-based illustrator Sam Taylor has done us a massive favour by finding a selection of illustrators who still care about the good old days of music – when you’d tattoo your favourite band’s name on your forehead and spend hours copying their debut album cover but replacing all their faces with your own – and getting them to produce some pretty sweet fan art. There’s a terrifying rendering of Belle and Sebastian by Sam himself, Paul Layzell’s super-cool drawing of A Tribe Called Quest and a trippy linocut of Selda Bagcan by the excellent Sophy Hollington. And Charlotte Mei has done a lovely picture of Drake riding what appears to be a Studio Ghibli character that made us spit coffee on ourselves.
Get off Twitter and make some more fan art kids!
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs