You know what your favourite illustrator is probably missing, 100 abstract naked chicks hanging out on a beach. No? What about a paper bag-masked arsonist watching a hawk remove a pig’s entrails? Burning witch electrocuting an armless woman? We give up, maybe you’ve seen it all before but to us Simon John Thompson’s illustrated world is 100 per cent batsh*t crazy. And we freaking love it!
You see on the one hand Simon has an effortless knack for creating intensely surreal imagery that’s fuelled by pop-culture, news reports, the French avant-garde and vintage cartoons, and on the other he’s a terrifically skilled printer, producing immaculate screen and risograph works on paper in which the colours have been overlaid to perfection. This balance of imagination and skill make him a force to be reckoned with – and he’s not even graduated university yet. Look out world, Simon John Thompson’s about to unleash a fury of visceral illustration upon you!
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Best of the web: a whole host of internet goodies
- Mould Map's latest issue is brought to life as an exhibition
- Photographer Toru Akai uncovers the Invisible Machinery that defines modern life
- Kuti Kuti, the comic association looking to educate and inspire
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- London Design Festival: where to go and what to see
- Caitlyn Murphy's paintings elevate the charm of everyday life
- Sean Lotman’s serenely psychedelic photographs of Japan