I think it’s fair to say we’re fairly geeky when it comes to graphic design and many-a-time has an unsuspecting dinner party neighbour been subjected to a wine-fuelled monologue on the subject. So imagine our delight in coming across the work of Sonia Castillo, a new talent to wang on about.
Sonia studied both in Spain and Germany – at the Fine Arts at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Universidad HAWK Hildesheim respectively – and her work across graphic design, typography, advertising and photography shows marked influences from both scenes in which she was immersed.
I’m particularly drawn to her poster work where deft, layered use of colour and the odd typographic flourish keep her creations fresh and interesting. But elsewhere she shows off a real flair for publications, especially evident in the book of her own calligraphy, Spiegel Schrift, where by keeping every other page blank she maintains focus on her impressively eclectic lettering skills.
A designer with such an intuitive understanding of her craft is sure to make an apperanance next time I decide to buttonhole someone at a party, whether they’re remotely interested or not. They should be.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)