I think it’s fair to say we’re fairly geeky when it comes to graphic design and many-a-time has an unsuspecting dinner party neighbour been subjected to a wine-fuelled monologue on the subject. So imagine our delight in coming across the work of Sonia Castillo, a new talent to wang on about.
Sonia studied both in Spain and Germany – at the Fine Arts at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Universidad HAWK Hildesheim respectively – and her work across graphic design, typography, advertising and photography shows marked influences from both scenes in which she was immersed.
I’m particularly drawn to her poster work where deft, layered use of colour and the odd typographic flourish keep her creations fresh and interesting. But elsewhere she shows off a real flair for publications, especially evident in the book of her own calligraphy, Spiegel Schrift, where by keeping every other page blank she maintains focus on her impressively eclectic lettering skills.
A designer with such an intuitive understanding of her craft is sure to make an apperanance next time I decide to buttonhole someone at a party, whether they’re remotely interested or not. They should be.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood