I think it’s fair to say we’re fairly geeky when it comes to graphic design and many-a-time has an unsuspecting dinner party neighbour been subjected to a wine-fuelled monologue on the subject. So imagine our delight in coming across the work of Sonia Castillo, a new talent to wang on about.
Sonia studied both in Spain and Germany – at the Fine Arts at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Universidad HAWK Hildesheim respectively – and her work across graphic design, typography, advertising and photography shows marked influences from both scenes in which she was immersed.
I’m particularly drawn to her poster work where deft, layered use of colour and the odd typographic flourish keep her creations fresh and interesting. But elsewhere she shows off a real flair for publications, especially evident in the book of her own calligraphy, Spiegel Schrift, where by keeping every other page blank she maintains focus on her impressively eclectic lettering skills.
A designer with such an intuitive understanding of her craft is sure to make an apperanance next time I decide to buttonhole someone at a party, whether they’re remotely interested or not. They should be.
For the next few weeks we’re showcasing some of the dazzling creatives which form part of the ABSOLUT Network, which brings together some of the finest cutting-edge creatives in Spain.
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission "Kick over the statues"
- Futur Neue explores texts through clean typography, images and unusual printing techniques
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations