I don’t really know how to introduce this week’s instalment of art and design chat other than to inform you that, alongside some handsome graphic design, a dose of undiluted Grayson Perry and a round-up of The Modern Magazine Conference, this week our merciless editor-in-chief had us broaching the most difficult subject discussed in all Studio Audience history. Cheers Rob. Onwards into the awkwardness!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
In the first section we discussed Marian Bantjes’ beautiful new monograph, questioned whether Banksy’s sale of original work in New York for £30 a piece is a brilliant piece of satire or falls flat on its face, and Leigh Ledare who, yeah, photographed his mum having sex. (Feeling weird? Because I can assure you it’s not as weird as we did.)
In section two we chatted about the first instalment of Grayson Perry’s Reith Lectures, entitled Democracy Has Bad Taste, and Rob Alderson told us all about Mag Culture’s one day conference about The Modern Magazine and the nuggets of wisdom modern media’s key players had to bestow.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography