I don’t really know how to introduce this week’s instalment of art and design chat other than to inform you that, alongside some handsome graphic design, a dose of undiluted Grayson Perry and a round-up of The Modern Magazine Conference, this week our merciless editor-in-chief had us broaching the most difficult subject discussed in all Studio Audience history. Cheers Rob. Onwards into the awkwardness!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
In the first section we discussed Marian Bantjes’ beautiful new monograph, questioned whether Banksy’s sale of original work in New York for £30 a piece is a brilliant piece of satire or falls flat on its face, and Leigh Ledare who, yeah, photographed his mum having sex. (Feeling weird? Because I can assure you it’s not as weird as we did.)
In section two we chatted about the first instalment of Grayson Perry’s Reith Lectures, entitled Democracy Has Bad Taste, and Rob Alderson told us all about Mag Culture’s one day conference about The Modern Magazine and the nuggets of wisdom modern media’s key players had to bestow.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc