Roll up, roll up, it’s time for our weekly podcast! Seat yourself comfortably, one and all, to listen to Rob, Liv, Maisie and James talk art, exhibitions, poppies and peculiarities. You can listen via the SoundCloud below or subscribe via iTunes over here.
In case you haven’t heard already, Damien Hirst is building a town. A real town, in Devon. Liv reckons it wouldn’t be so bad to be a resident, although she turns her nose up at eating in his restaurant. How does Hirst housing sound to you? Then we glanced at a sweep of the strange art shows which we’ve heard about this week. Pop on your scuba mask – there’s an underwater gallery in Italy – and dig out your magnifying glass to take a peek at a miniature art show in California. Perhaps the kids shouldn’t come along too though, according to Jake Chapman.
Next up the team discuss the art projects which opened this week to commemorate the centenary of World War One, from the sea of ceramic poppies round the Tower of London to London’s new pillar of light, Spectra. Finally, James looks at XL Recordings’ new site celebrating 25 brilliant years of musical delights and an accompanying Michel Gondry video series.
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know