Roll up, roll up, it’s time for our weekly podcast! Seat yourself comfortably, one and all, to listen to Rob, Liv, Maisie and James talk art, exhibitions, poppies and peculiarities. You can listen via the SoundCloud below or subscribe via iTunes over here.
In case you haven’t heard already, Damien Hirst is building a town. A real town, in Devon. Liv reckons it wouldn’t be so bad to be a resident, although she turns her nose up at eating in his restaurant. How does Hirst housing sound to you? Then we glanced at a sweep of the strange art shows which we’ve heard about this week. Pop on your scuba mask – there’s an underwater gallery in Italy – and dig out your magnifying glass to take a peek at a miniature art show in California. Perhaps the kids shouldn’t come along too though, according to Jake Chapman.
Next up the team discuss the art projects which opened this week to commemorate the centenary of World War One, from the sea of ceramic poppies round the Tower of London to London’s new pillar of light, Spectra. Finally, James looks at XL Recordings’ new site celebrating 25 brilliant years of musical delights and an accompanying Michel Gondry video series.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations