Roll up, roll up, it’s time for our weekly podcast! Seat yourself comfortably, one and all, to listen to Rob, Liv, Maisie and James talk art, exhibitions, poppies and peculiarities. You can listen via the SoundCloud below or subscribe via iTunes over here.
In case you haven’t heard already, Damien Hirst is building a town. A real town, in Devon. Liv reckons it wouldn’t be so bad to be a resident, although she turns her nose up at eating in his restaurant. How does Hirst housing sound to you? Then we glanced at a sweep of the strange art shows which we’ve heard about this week. Pop on your scuba mask – there’s an underwater gallery in Italy – and dig out your magnifying glass to take a peek at a miniature art show in California. Perhaps the kids shouldn’t come along too though, according to Jake Chapman.
Next up the team discuss the art projects which opened this week to commemorate the centenary of World War One, from the sea of ceramic poppies round the Tower of London to London’s new pillar of light, Spectra. Finally, James looks at XL Recordings’ new site celebrating 25 brilliant years of musical delights and an accompanying Michel Gondry video series.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant