Here we find ourselves once again, a new, witty episode of Studio Audience in the bag and another introduction to write. So how to sum up this time? Well I’d like to enlist modern-day poet Alicia Keys to aid me in my summary of our latest audio offering: “Baby I’m from New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of; there’s nothing you can’t do now you’re in New York! These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you. Hear it for New York!” That should do it.
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
In the first section this week we sped through discussions on whether London ought to have its own logo (or if, in fact, it already does), waved a fond farewell to Marc Jacobs as he leaves Louis Vuitton to focus on his own label, celebrated this year’s Design Effectiveness Awards and then, because we love to jump on the celebrity bandwagon when the time is right, we finished up with the Miley Cyrus/Terry Richardson saga. Now let’s never speak of her again.
The second section is where the inspiration for that intro came from; we went New York crazy and found out what Will Hudson and Alex Bec got up to on their recent trip across the pond – the highs, the lows, the legendary designers and the impromptu karaoke. Then we looked at David Byrne’s recent rant about the inequality of wealth compromising creativity in NYC. Enjoy!
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery