When an organisation like the BBC Concert Orchestra puts on unusual and unexpected events, it is only right the visual collateral supports their laudable commitment to changing perceptions that still weigh down classical music. Last year the orchestra took on two concerts designed to explore extreme emotional states and the excellent Studio Output did not disappoint with their supporting print work.
For Exstatica, Output’s team used images of fragments of body parts and overlaid it with type to create intriguing abstract pieces, the meanings of which could be discovered using decoding glasses. For H7teria, an event which explored themes of mental illness, reality and anxiety, they created a colourful optical illusion which is not only hugely memorable but also toys with viewers’ minds to create a sense of unease and uncertainty, acting as kind of Rorschach test onto which we can project some of our own issues. It also works well cross both print and online so the effect is not lost for those interacting with the work digitially.
This is one of a host of interesting updates on the Studio Output site well worth checking out when you have a chance.
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- David Wilson directs deeply moving film B.E.N. about using AI robots to tackle loneliness
- Art and About: Charlotte Trounce celebrates the architectural beauty of museums and galleries
- Riikka Laakso’s screenprinted zine is a tribute to Moomin author Tove Jansson
- Sandy Van Helden’s illustrations of contemporary culture
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Juan Aballe’s photographs of pastoral landscapes filled with wanderlust
- Exclusive first interview with new UK Vice.com editor Jamie Clifton