When an organisation like the BBC Concert Orchestra puts on unusual and unexpected events, it is only right the visual collateral supports their laudable commitment to changing perceptions that still weigh down classical music. Last year the orchestra took on two concerts designed to explore extreme emotional states and the excellent Studio Output did not disappoint with their supporting print work.
For Exstatica, Output’s team used images of fragments of body parts and overlaid it with type to create intriguing abstract pieces, the meanings of which could be discovered using decoding glasses. For H7teria, an event which explored themes of mental illness, reality and anxiety, they created a colourful optical illusion which is not only hugely memorable but also toys with viewers’ minds to create a sense of unease and uncertainty, acting as kind of Rorschach test onto which we can project some of our own issues. It also works well cross both print and online so the effect is not lost for those interacting with the work digitially.
This is one of a host of interesting updates on the Studio Output site well worth checking out when you have a chance.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations