Some things around the Superbowl are predictable annual occurrences. The same joke about superb owls being made all over Twitter, Brits who have no idea about American football casually dropping phrases like “Hail Mary Pass” into conversation, and of course the eagerly anticipated advertising bonanza. With a 30-second spot apparently costing up to $4 million but an estimated audience of more than 90 million people the pressure is on for all the brands lining up for the evening’s bug creative showdown.
They range from cheesy (Budweiser’s equine adventure) to sexy (Megan Fox in a bath for Motorola), cinematic (Mercedes’ spot stars Willem Dafoe as the devil) to controversial (Soda Stream’s spot has apparently been pulled after complaints from Coca Cola and Pepsi). It’s interesting to say various brands go down the interactive public vote route although it still feels like a gimmick rather than a genuinely interesting creative strategy, although Ford’s script written through Tweets is better than most.
For my money Audi, Taco Bell, Fiat and Mercedes and Samsung all did well, but I’m sure you’ll have your favourites from those collected below, and taken as a whole it’s an interesting lesson in how big brands interact with mass audiences.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations