Some things around the Superbowl are predictable annual occurrences. The same joke about superb owls being made all over Twitter, Brits who have no idea about American football casually dropping phrases like “Hail Mary Pass” into conversation, and of course the eagerly anticipated advertising bonanza. With a 30-second spot apparently costing up to $4 million but an estimated audience of more than 90 million people the pressure is on for all the brands lining up for the evening’s bug creative showdown.
They range from cheesy (Budweiser’s equine adventure) to sexy (Megan Fox in a bath for Motorola), cinematic (Mercedes’ spot stars Willem Dafoe as the devil) to controversial (Soda Stream’s spot has apparently been pulled after complaints from Coca Cola and Pepsi). It’s interesting to say various brands go down the interactive public vote route although it still feels like a gimmick rather than a genuinely interesting creative strategy, although Ford’s script written through Tweets is better than most.
For my money Audi, Taco Bell, Fiat and Mercedes and Samsung all did well, but I’m sure you’ll have your favourites from those collected below, and taken as a whole it’s an interesting lesson in how big brands interact with mass audiences.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos