Some things around the Superbowl are predictable annual occurrences. The same joke about superb owls being made all over Twitter, Brits who have no idea about American football casually dropping phrases like “Hail Mary Pass” into conversation, and of course the eagerly anticipated advertising bonanza. With a 30-second spot apparently costing up to $4 million but an estimated audience of more than 90 million people the pressure is on for all the brands lining up for the evening’s bug creative showdown.
They range from cheesy (Budweiser’s equine adventure) to sexy (Megan Fox in a bath for Motorola), cinematic (Mercedes’ spot stars Willem Dafoe as the devil) to controversial (Soda Stream’s spot has apparently been pulled after complaints from Coca Cola and Pepsi). It’s interesting to say various brands go down the interactive public vote route although it still feels like a gimmick rather than a genuinely interesting creative strategy, although Ford’s script written through Tweets is better than most.
For my money Audi, Taco Bell, Fiat and Mercedes and Samsung all did well, but I’m sure you’ll have your favourites from those collected below, and taken as a whole it’s an interesting lesson in how big brands interact with mass audiences.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- The importance of creative education: why making is as important as maths, reading and science
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Pentagram’s dynamic and shifting identity for a Serbian digital arts festival
- PETA’s x-rated Super Bowl advert banned from TV (NSFW)
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language