In the past couple of years we’ve used the morning after Superbowl to write a post that crams in as many of the adverts as possible, regardless really of quality or impenetrable American cultural references. This year I decided enough is enough and that a little curation was required. So here are the ads that jumped out amid the dross, the schmalz and the bewildering (what even is Full House?).
The Newcastle Brown anti ad featuring Anna Kendrick has rightly been lavished with praise (I’d be surprised if there’s a better line than “I can’t stuff indie creed in a male stripper’s g-string”) but I also laughed out loud at Bud Light’s effort and Buzzfeed, Doritos and Swiffle all stood out from the crowd. The Ford Double The Awesome spot goes to town on a simple idea while Budweiser added puppies to last year’s Clydesdale horse in a peerless example of how to make a cheesy advert. Go Pro also paraded their product in style, strapped to space-jumper Felix Baumgartner and KIA, um, have a really weird twist on The Matrix.
I reserve the right to make changes and additions to this run-down, but for now here’s some to get you going…
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)