So, we’re fairly inundated with sporty visuals these days, as all manner of superhero-esque London antics are projected across the globe. But they’ve been absolutely captivating, so here are some more!
Olympian perseverance, in an architectural context, was what inspired these wonderful projects by Japanese architect and designer Naoki Terada. Recognising the vitality that miniature humans give to an architectural model, yet acknowledging that these were often the stressed-out last-minute additions after a series of sleepless nights, he devised a series of pre-prepared sets, appropriate for a variety of building projects. Even without shelter, however, these little paper models – built on a 1/100 scale – conjure up their own environments. The beautifully designed Competitive Swimming , Men’s Gymnastics , and Football sets, with their silhouette, pictogram-style figures and digital-style cut-out numerals, evoke the visual tradition of the Olympics, while the uniform colour of each set allows us to reflect on the formal and negative spaces that operate so effectively.
Just like watching the Games, we can marvel at the persistence, ambition, enthusiasm, fragility, and potential involved. And, we can even have a go at making them ourselves (it’s all about participation, right?). Bravo!
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August