A constant refrain when putting together the It’s Nice That Annual is to keep the creative work front and centre. This isn’t about us; it’s about the stunning, mesmerising, funny, thought-provoking, charming, painstaking and fascinating projects that we’re proud to showcase in all their glory. This year though we decided to go one better, and from the off we all agreed that it would be great if each cover carried a piece of art and design that could then be found within the book.
The answer was to print 50 A6 postcards to fit into a transparent pouch that sits on the vibrant blue cover. And then we thought wouldn’t it be great if these postcards were signed by the very creatives whose work was taking centre stage? So we sent boxes of postcards off to all corners of the globe, and watched with glee as they started to come back adorned with not just signatures but all manner of weird and wonderful doodles and messages.
So each 2014 It’s Nice That Annual will come with one of 50 signed postcards on the cover, featuring work from the likes of Geoff McFetridge, Jordy van den Nieuwendijk, Bobby Doherty, Jim Stoten, Jessica Svensden, Francesca Jane Allen, Pat Bradbury, Feixen, Gwendal le Bec, Jaime Zuverza, Anna Victoria Best and Ilg/Trüb.
Designer Hamish Makgill said last week that he thinks the postcards are “essential” to this year’s Annual and we hope you’ll agree that they add a certain something to our end-of-year book.
The It’s Nice That Annual 2014 is supported by G.F Smith and printed on Colorplan Bright White 350gsm, Zen Pure White 150gsm and Heaven 42 135gsm.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s