There must be something in the chilly October air because another day, another sumptuous book of astonishing graphics for us to pore over. William W. Crouse (always a fan of the middle initial used Samuel L. Jackson style) is a long-time poster collector particularly drawn to the Art Deco heyday of the interwar years, when post war optimism and technological advancement crested in an age of optimism, before it receded, giving way to a crippling economic depression and eventually another war.
This expertise makes him the perfect person to select around 360 examples of the most interesting, innovative and eye-catching poster design from this fascinating period and collect them together in The Art Deco Poster. Organised thematically, they are exhibited alongside illuminating explanatory texts which focus both on the aesthetic and socio-cultural aspects of these gorgeous artefacts. But the visuals are given centre stage, reproduced in both a scale and a quality that helps convey their brilliance.
Now excuse us while we get this drool mopped up…
The Art Deco Poster published by Thames & Hudson is available now.
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know