There must be something in the chilly October air because another day, another sumptuous book of astonishing graphics for us to pore over. William W. Crouse (always a fan of the middle initial used Samuel L. Jackson style) is a long-time poster collector particularly drawn to the Art Deco heyday of the interwar years, when post war optimism and technological advancement crested in an age of optimism, before it receded, giving way to a crippling economic depression and eventually another war.
This expertise makes him the perfect person to select around 360 examples of the most interesting, innovative and eye-catching poster design from this fascinating period and collect them together in The Art Deco Poster. Organised thematically, they are exhibited alongside illuminating explanatory texts which focus both on the aesthetic and socio-cultural aspects of these gorgeous artefacts. But the visuals are given centre stage, reproduced in both a scale and a quality that helps convey their brilliance.
Now excuse us while we get this drool mopped up…
The Art Deco Poster published by Thames & Hudson is available now.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design