If you’re starting your own self-published edition what on earth do you pick for its content? With such an abundance of information out there online and in print it’s tough to find your own niche. There’s one subject however, that mankind will always have an appetite for; pornography, and The Cumquat is seeking to exploit that niche as best it can with an open call for the filthiest erotic literature around. “It’s more than porn. It’s smut; the essence of filth. And the sticky juice has spilled over everything.”
But we’re not here to talk pornography; the real appeal of The Cumquat for us, other than its absurd name, is the remarkably tasteful design with which it’s been branded. Created by Studio Hi Ho, a Melbourne-based duo comprised of Wesley Waddell and Patrick Scanlan, it provides a discreet and attractive exterior with which to house the erotic material within. Will Hustler ever adopt such discreet branding? We doubt it, but the appeal of The Cumquat is the high-brow appearance masking something altogether more visceral than simple soft-focus snaps.
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Best of the web: a whole host of internet goodies
- Mould Map's latest issue is brought to life as an exhibition
- Photographer Toru Akai uncovers the Invisible Machinery that defines modern life
- Kuti Kuti, the comic association looking to educate and inspire
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- London Design Festival: where to go and what to see
- Caitlyn Murphy's paintings elevate the charm of everyday life
- Sean Lotman’s serenely psychedelic photographs of Japan