If you’re starting your own self-published edition what on earth do you pick for its content? With such an abundance of information out there online and in print it’s tough to find your own niche. There’s one subject however, that mankind will always have an appetite for; pornography, and The Cumquat is seeking to exploit that niche as best it can with an open call for the filthiest erotic literature around. “It’s more than porn. It’s smut; the essence of filth. And the sticky juice has spilled over everything.”
But we’re not here to talk pornography; the real appeal of The Cumquat for us, other than its absurd name, is the remarkably tasteful design with which it’s been branded. Created by Studio Hi Ho, a Melbourne-based duo comprised of Wesley Waddell and Patrick Scanlan, it provides a discreet and attractive exterior with which to house the erotic material within. Will Hustler ever adopt such discreet branding? We doubt it, but the appeal of The Cumquat is the high-brow appearance masking something altogether more visceral than simple soft-focus snaps.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood