If you’re starting your own self-published edition what on earth do you pick for its content? With such an abundance of information out there online and in print it’s tough to find your own niche. There’s one subject however, that mankind will always have an appetite for; pornography, and The Cumquat is seeking to exploit that niche as best it can with an open call for the filthiest erotic literature around. “It’s more than porn. It’s smut; the essence of filth. And the sticky juice has spilled over everything.”
But we’re not here to talk pornography; the real appeal of The Cumquat for us, other than its absurd name, is the remarkably tasteful design with which it’s been branded. Created by Studio Hi Ho, a Melbourne-based duo comprised of Wesley Waddell and Patrick Scanlan, it provides a discreet and attractive exterior with which to house the erotic material within. Will Hustler ever adopt such discreet branding? We doubt it, but the appeal of The Cumquat is the high-brow appearance masking something altogether more visceral than simple soft-focus snaps.
- Yukai Du transports us to galaxies far, far away in TED-Ed animation
- Illustration galore: it's February's Things!
- The past, present and future of gaming on The It’s Nice That Podcast
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality