There are only a handful of famous people who make a conscious effort to stay as far out of the limelight as possible, and singer Bill Callahan is one of them. His small yet devout group of fans, myself included, will rate this publication to be one of the most exciting this year, as it exposes what really goes on in baritone-wonder Bill Callahan’s home. The result is, unsurprisingly, nothing too odd, and satisfyingly non intrusive or judgmental. We are given juicy glimpses of his piano (that’s his piano!) a peek inside his wardrobe (that’s the shirt he wore in the photo Joanna Newsom took of him!) and an unbelievable shot of a school photo taken when Bill was about seven.
Photographer Chris Taylor is that man to thank for this book, and he should be praised not for simply making a truly beautiful publication, but also for bringing back true fandom — something that, I feel, has been lost a little in current years. If you can’t make a seriously great book about someone you think is fantastic, then what can you make one about?
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team