We’re not ones to post many swimming pools – they don’t tend to be massively creative, and consequently don’t warrant much attention. Then again, Dagenham’s isn’t your average suburban pool. In fact, it’s never looked as good. Thanks to Nike’s transformation the pool is now playing proud host to a unique BMX park currently being sessioned by both a series of world class riders, as well as the local community.
Launched this weekend the project has created this state-of-the-art BMX park by refurbishing the public swimming pool that is due to be demolished later this year. Before then though there’s a programme of events until the 12 June that include both established riders as well as local schools and youth groups, all the details can be found on their Facebook Page.
Simon Charlesworth (Brand Lead Nike Action Sports) outlines the goals for the project, “We wanted to develop something that excites BMX fans in and around the area, creates a surge of interest in the sport and serves the people of Barking and Dagenham. The Pool perfectly encapsulates the youthful energy, creativity and self-expression that characterises not only the world of BMX but also the wider action sports community.”
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU