We’re not ones to post many swimming pools – they don’t tend to be massively creative, and consequently don’t warrant much attention. Then again, Dagenham’s isn’t your average suburban pool. In fact, it’s never looked as good. Thanks to Nike’s transformation the pool is now playing proud host to a unique BMX park currently being sessioned by both a series of world class riders, as well as the local community.
Launched this weekend the project has created this state-of-the-art BMX park by refurbishing the public swimming pool that is due to be demolished later this year. Before then though there’s a programme of events until the 12 June that include both established riders as well as local schools and youth groups, all the details can be found on their Facebook Page.
Simon Charlesworth (Brand Lead Nike Action Sports) outlines the goals for the project, “We wanted to develop something that excites BMX fans in and around the area, creates a surge of interest in the sport and serves the people of Barking and Dagenham. The Pool perfectly encapsulates the youthful energy, creativity and self-expression that characterises not only the world of BMX but also the wider action sports community.”
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs