We’re not ones to post many swimming pools – they don’t tend to be massively creative, and consequently don’t warrant much attention. Then again, Dagenham’s isn’t your average suburban pool. In fact, it’s never looked as good. Thanks to Nike’s transformation the pool is now playing proud host to a unique BMX park currently being sessioned by both a series of world class riders, as well as the local community.
Launched this weekend the project has created this state-of-the-art BMX park by refurbishing the public swimming pool that is due to be demolished later this year. Before then though there’s a programme of events until the 12 June that include both established riders as well as local schools and youth groups, all the details can be found on their Facebook Page.
Simon Charlesworth (Brand Lead Nike Action Sports) outlines the goals for the project, “We wanted to develop something that excites BMX fans in and around the area, creates a surge of interest in the sport and serves the people of Barking and Dagenham. The Pool perfectly encapsulates the youthful energy, creativity and self-expression that characterises not only the world of BMX but also the wider action sports community.”
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos