We’re not ones to post many swimming pools – they don’t tend to be massively creative, and consequently don’t warrant much attention. Then again, Dagenham’s isn’t your average suburban pool. In fact, it’s never looked as good. Thanks to Nike’s transformation the pool is now playing proud host to a unique BMX park currently being sessioned by both a series of world class riders, as well as the local community.
Launched this weekend the project has created this state-of-the-art BMX park by refurbishing the public swimming pool that is due to be demolished later this year. Before then though there’s a programme of events until the 12 June that include both established riders as well as local schools and youth groups, all the details can be found on their Facebook Page.
Simon Charlesworth (Brand Lead Nike Action Sports) outlines the goals for the project, “We wanted to develop something that excites BMX fans in and around the area, creates a surge of interest in the sport and serves the people of Barking and Dagenham. The Pool perfectly encapsulates the youthful energy, creativity and self-expression that characterises not only the world of BMX but also the wider action sports community.”
- Envisions collective, breaking down the boundaries of design
- Zsofia Schweger’s paintings depict her Hungarian home frozen in time
- Illustrator Nuno Maria’s fresh aesthetic and smooth shapes rework ordinary objects
- A cookbook inspired by Brad Pitt's on-screen eating habits
- Uganda’s boisterous nightlife as captured by photographer Michele Sibiloni
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August