There’s something overwhelming about turning up in an unfamiliar city during one of the major design jamborees and it can be hard to know where to start. But a new initiative from HTC and Wallpaper* provides carefully-curated guides to a several design-savvy cities showcasing shops, bars and galleries far from the madding crowds.
After the scheme’s launch at this year’s Salone in Milan, the latest cities to be added to the HTC Global Design Tours app are New York and Hong Kong, to coincide with the International Contemporary Furniture Fair and Art Basel respectively.
Selecting their favourite parts of The Big Apple are Wallpaper* New York editor Pei-Ru Keh, One&Co (HTC) principal Irina Kozlovskaya and British-born/New York-based fashion designer Andrew Wren, and in a nice touch the trio have selected a suitable track for every destination they recommend.
This app breathes new life into the old adage that cities are best explored in the company of those who know them best, and where it excels is by adding unusual and genuinely out of the way locations to the well-worn design trails that tend to take over cities at the time of major festivals. It also helps visitors drill down to find out a bit more about the fascinating design stories to be found behind the immaculately-presented finished products.
With other cities including London in the pipeline, it will be good to see how this programme expands and evolves over the next few months. You can download the apps here.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs