There’s something overwhelming about turning up in an unfamiliar city during one of the major design jamborees and it can be hard to know where to start. But a new initiative from HTC and Wallpaper* provides carefully-curated guides to a several design-savvy cities showcasing shops, bars and galleries far from the madding crowds.
After the scheme’s launch at this year’s Salone in Milan, the latest cities to be added to the HTC Global Design Tours app are New York and Hong Kong, to coincide with the International Contemporary Furniture Fair and Art Basel respectively.
Selecting their favourite parts of The Big Apple are Wallpaper* New York editor Pei-Ru Keh, One&Co (HTC) principal Irina Kozlovskaya and British-born/New York-based fashion designer Andrew Wren, and in a nice touch the trio have selected a suitable track for every destination they recommend.
This app breathes new life into the old adage that cities are best explored in the company of those who know them best, and where it excels is by adding unusual and genuinely out of the way locations to the well-worn design trails that tend to take over cities at the time of major festivals. It also helps visitors drill down to find out a bit more about the fascinating design stories to be found behind the immaculately-presented finished products.
With other cities including London in the pipeline, it will be good to see how this programme expands and evolves over the next few months. You can download the apps here.
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant