Good week for the It’s Nice That post mat – Things got stuck into the beautiful game, made a glorious music cover, nabbed a superhero couple with flying colours, admired what the Latvians are building and looked at pop stars staring into sunsets. Let’s see how this played out…
Nicky Inchenko: 90
Nicky Inchenko made this fantastic little green football booklet. Crammed with line drawings of players in action and doubling as a very nice poster when unfolded, it’s a delightful memento of some classic footballing moments. This is only the highlights version – the original is 90 pages long! Nicky has also made life-size painted Chicago Bulls that are worth a look.
DR.ME: Dutch Uncle’s Out Of Touch In The Wild
DR.ME’s artwork for the Dutch Uncle’s latest record makes a great track into a beautiful object. Looks excellent and feels so good to hold.
Happy Lovers Town: Super Heroes
These are great. Colourful, simple, healthily plump superheroes from Happy Lovers Town. Fun to work out the angle of those red feet.
Lukabuka: Process 3. Jaunā arhitektūra Latvijā
Jaunā arhitektūra Latvijā is the third book in the Process series looking at New Architecture in Latvia. Edited by Ieva Zībārte and designed very nicely by Edgars Zvirgzdiņš it’s full of beautiful photographs documenting current architectural practice and education in the country. Fascinating stuff.
Tom Oldham: Portraits
This is a collection of Tom Oldham’s snaps of pop stars looking cool. Music photography is always interesting, whatever you think of the set-ups. With the right light and barely a blemish in sight, it’s interesting to pick apart the layers of presentation in these shots.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?