In this weeks Things we welcome: the newest edition of Brighton-based Playground Magazine; the first issue of Six; the new art critique publication Format P; the varied and contemporary content of Versus; and a couple lovely looking prints from the Design Museum.
Kenneth Grange Posters Design Museum
Some poster-shaped niceness at its best here. The Design Museum provided us with these iconic printed collateral from the excellent exhibition of Kenneth Grange’s most iconic work. Exemplified in some solid colours and classic lines.
Playground Magazine Editor, Carianne Whitworth
Playground Magazine, edited by Carianne Whitworth, designed by Joseph Hales and printed by the prolific Ditto Press, focusses this issue on the concept of Exchange, and features a number of illuminating texts on things such as possession and commodity.
Versus Craig Sharp
Versus magazine, the editors say, is the “prog-rock sister” of www.versusprint.com, an online hub of creative wonderment. The latest print issue invites us into the studio of talented Befordshire-based artist Andy Holden; treats us to an interview with musician and artist Vice Cooler (try not to be jealous of this guy’s name!); and provides an insight to the comedic desires of Stewart Lee.
Six #1 June 2011 NO way
Featuring a character-full front cover by illustrator Sophie Alda, and interviews with Joe Dunthorne, Felix Thorn and Beatrix De Souza, the first issue of Six flew through our letterbox exactly six days ago, believe it or not, and already has us hooked.
Format P Various
Interested primarily in the future of art criticism, the fourth issue of arts journal Format P hopes to ascertain whether or not artistic critique can in fact exist not as fact but as an accumulation of stories; basically, whether we can invent it ourselves. The book acts as an exhibition space in itself, and is as conceptually lovely as it is good-looking.
- Thomas Prior captures a Mexican festival involving exploding sledgehammers
- The misty-eyed and delicate pencil marks of Lee Kyutae
- Build’s brand identity for product design brand Plæy mirrors its playful and modular designs
- David Bailey's photographs of NW1, republished and exhibited for the first time
- Studio Mut creates a catalogue for Italian art prize that celebrates up-and-coming artists
- A forward-minded retrospective: behind the design of the massive Cedric Price monograph
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich