In this week’s Things we present a magnificent, hand-printed invitation from Alan Kitching; The Group of Ten – a new zine/short story by Supermundane; a set of colourful and informative postcards direct from the West of England Design Forum; Ideas Illustrated – The Relocated Issue; and the debut publication of On Paper.
Kitching’s Concise Letterpress and Typography Workshop Alan Kitching
Wonderful letterpress maestro Alan Kitching sent us au expertly hand-printed, large fold-out invitation to his much-anticipated workshop . The invitation itself is almost too much to take, so it’s hard to imagine how epic the workshop is going to be.
The Group of Ten Supermundane
A bright yellow zine created by Rob Lowe – otherwise known as Supermundane – showcasing a short story involving ten characters, each represented with their own abstract portrait per page. Like cloud gazing, you see hints of the characters rather than being told exactly what is what, and the rest is left up to your imagination.
The West of England Design Forum
Lovely set of postcards showcasing illustration talent from the west of England. In their quest to promote the value of design, they are spreading the word with thought-provoking quotes from many of our favourite designers, printed on postcards to pass on to others.
Ideas Illustrated: ‘Why Am I Here?’ The Relocated Issue YCN
Really fun issue of Ideas Illustrated , a feast for the eyes in terms of the illustration crammed into each page. Includes a neat article on design and reality, and an uplifting ‘dozen ideas’ section to help get you through your weekend/life constructively.
On Paper – Issue 1, Travel Rebecca Hawkes
This is the first issue of On Paper and it manages to be both pleasantly whimsical and informative. Within the publication is a selection of short, snappy interviews with friendly and interesting people – accompanied by charming photography and splashes of juicy text taken from cult novels.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design