In this week’s Things we present a magnificent, hand-printed invitation from Alan Kitching; The Group of Ten – a new zine/short story by Supermundane; a set of colourful and informative postcards direct from the West of England Design Forum; Ideas Illustrated – The Relocated Issue; and the debut publication of On Paper.
Kitching’s Concise Letterpress and Typography Workshop Alan Kitching
Wonderful letterpress maestro Alan Kitching sent us au expertly hand-printed, large fold-out invitation to his much-anticipated workshop . The invitation itself is almost too much to take, so it’s hard to imagine how epic the workshop is going to be.
The Group of Ten Supermundane
A bright yellow zine created by Rob Lowe – otherwise known as Supermundane – showcasing a short story involving ten characters, each represented with their own abstract portrait per page. Like cloud gazing, you see hints of the characters rather than being told exactly what is what, and the rest is left up to your imagination.
The West of England Design Forum
Lovely set of postcards showcasing illustration talent from the west of England. In their quest to promote the value of design, they are spreading the word with thought-provoking quotes from many of our favourite designers, printed on postcards to pass on to others.
Ideas Illustrated: ‘Why Am I Here?’ The Relocated Issue YCN
Really fun issue of Ideas Illustrated , a feast for the eyes in terms of the illustration crammed into each page. Includes a neat article on design and reality, and an uplifting ‘dozen ideas’ section to help get you through your weekend/life constructively.
On Paper – Issue 1, Travel Rebecca Hawkes
This is the first issue of On Paper and it manages to be both pleasantly whimsical and informative. Within the publication is a selection of short, snappy interviews with friendly and interesting people – accompanied by charming photography and splashes of juicy text taken from cult novels.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang