In this week’s Things we present a magnificent, hand-printed invitation from Alan Kitching; The Group of Ten – a new zine/short story by Supermundane; a set of colourful and informative postcards direct from the West of England Design Forum; Ideas Illustrated – The Relocated Issue; and the debut publication of On Paper.
Kitching’s Concise Letterpress and Typography Workshop Alan Kitching
Wonderful letterpress maestro Alan Kitching sent us au expertly hand-printed, large fold-out invitation to his much-anticipated workshop . The invitation itself is almost too much to take, so it’s hard to imagine how epic the workshop is going to be.
The Group of Ten Supermundane
A bright yellow zine created by Rob Lowe – otherwise known as Supermundane – showcasing a short story involving ten characters, each represented with their own abstract portrait per page. Like cloud gazing, you see hints of the characters rather than being told exactly what is what, and the rest is left up to your imagination.
The West of England Design Forum
Lovely set of postcards showcasing illustration talent from the west of England. In their quest to promote the value of design, they are spreading the word with thought-provoking quotes from many of our favourite designers, printed on postcards to pass on to others.
Ideas Illustrated: ‘Why Am I Here?’ The Relocated Issue YCN
Really fun issue of Ideas Illustrated , a feast for the eyes in terms of the illustration crammed into each page. Includes a neat article on design and reality, and an uplifting ‘dozen ideas’ section to help get you through your weekend/life constructively.
On Paper – Issue 1, Travel Rebecca Hawkes
This is the first issue of On Paper and it manages to be both pleasantly whimsical and informative. Within the publication is a selection of short, snappy interviews with friendly and interesting people – accompanied by charming photography and splashes of juicy text taken from cult novels.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August