Thomas Albdorf (strong name) from Vienna was one of our Students of the Month back in January 2011 when he blew us away with his mystic photographs of shapes in odd environments. Now he’s back with this bountiful, extensive project entitled Former Writer, Part 1: Colour on Surface that explores his teenage habit of graffitiing anything that stayed still long enough to be spray-painted.
Here’s what Thomas has to say about it: “Former Writer, Part 1: Colour on Surface forms the first part of an ongoing series that integrates graffiti-related methods into my photographic and sculptural work. I investigate the relationship between pre-photographic painterly and sculptural interventions and their post-photographic digital equivalents, as well as the connection between spontaneous arrangements in public spaces and compositions staged in the studio that echo the works created outside.”
Keep going, Thomas! We’re officially committed fans of your work.
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich