If you’ve ever whiled away time (in a coffee shop or solicitor’s office say) by trying to draw the perfect circle you’ll know how ruddy frustrating it can be (damn you last minute bump!). But hang on, it turns out there’s a theory that it’s an impossible task to even create the perfect circle in this world as some outside influence will always distort it however minutely.
Superb photographer Thomas Brown and brilliant set design duo Lightning + Kinglyface have teamed up to explore this idea, “creating the most perfect, imperfect circles, embracing improbability, chaos and letting the world around us disturb mathematical perfection to make beauty.”
The project, called 2-(y-b)2 = r2 (the equation of a circle) has been released gradually over a six-week period and as you’d expect from such talented creative minds the results have been breathtaking, using smoke, sugar, fabric and bubbles to make their point that the pursuit of perfection is a Sisyphean endeavour.
As the last circle is released today we are delighted to present the entire series in all its barnstorming glory.
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?