When it comes to the mean old task of developing your own style and standing out from the crowd, fashion photographer Tim Walker is not one who struggles. In fact Tim Walker’s daring photography with its prop-heavy sets and monumental scale (think UFOs, giant snails and six foot bumble bees) is so special that he may as well own the definition of innovation.
Dazzling the fashion world with his humorous, ambitious take on its usual all-too-serious nature and dipping into the fantasy land of unicorns and giant Humpty Dumpty eggs, his new show Story Teller more than lives up to its name.
From a giant doll about to step on supermodel Lindsay Wixson and Tilda Swinton glaring out from behind skydiving goggles to a UFO taking English huntsmen by surprise, celebrities are practically queueing up to have this talented man photograph them. And photographing for the likes of British, French, American and Italian Vogue (no big deal), Vanity Fair, W Magazine and LOVE Magazine, his list of adorers is so long it would be probably be easier to list the publications he hasn’t photographed for.
Story Teller supported by Mulberry is at Somerset House until January 27.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery