When it comes to the mean old task of developing your own style and standing out from the crowd, fashion photographer Tim Walker is not one who struggles. In fact Tim Walker’s daring photography with its prop-heavy sets and monumental scale (think UFOs, giant snails and six foot bumble bees) is so special that he may as well own the definition of innovation.
Dazzling the fashion world with his humorous, ambitious take on its usual all-too-serious nature and dipping into the fantasy land of unicorns and giant Humpty Dumpty eggs, his new show Story Teller more than lives up to its name.
From a giant doll about to step on supermodel Lindsay Wixson and Tilda Swinton glaring out from behind skydiving goggles to a UFO taking English huntsmen by surprise, celebrities are practically queueing up to have this talented man photograph them. And photographing for the likes of British, French, American and Italian Vogue (no big deal), Vanity Fair, W Magazine and LOVE Magazine, his list of adorers is so long it would be probably be easier to list the publications he hasn’t photographed for.
Story Teller supported by Mulberry is at Somerset House until January 27.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”