When it comes to the mean old task of developing your own style and standing out from the crowd, fashion photographer Tim Walker is not one who struggles. In fact Tim Walker’s daring photography with its prop-heavy sets and monumental scale (think UFOs, giant snails and six foot bumble bees) is so special that he may as well own the definition of innovation.
Dazzling the fashion world with his humorous, ambitious take on its usual all-too-serious nature and dipping into the fantasy land of unicorns and giant Humpty Dumpty eggs, his new show Story Teller more than lives up to its name.
From a giant doll about to step on supermodel Lindsay Wixson and Tilda Swinton glaring out from behind skydiving goggles to a UFO taking English huntsmen by surprise, celebrities are practically queueing up to have this talented man photograph them. And photographing for the likes of British, French, American and Italian Vogue (no big deal), Vanity Fair, W Magazine and LOVE Magazine, his list of adorers is so long it would be probably be easier to list the publications he hasn’t photographed for.
Story Teller supported by Mulberry is at Somerset House until January 27.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations