If you don’t give a toffee about typography, then the fixation on any font probably seems a touch tedious. But this fantastic new film from Steven Qua for The Times newspapers is an engaging and accessible exploration of this famous typeface, which takes in both its history and its current incarnations at the newspaper for whom it was designed. There’s insights from the likes of Andy Altmann, Marina Willer, Neville Brody and Monotype’s Dan Rhatigan so there’s more than enough here for both the initiated and the as-yet-to-be-converted to enjoy.
It’s part of a series called Unquiet Minds from Grey London, Betsy Works and Phil Lind which aims to “to celebrate the cultural impact The Times has had on Britain and the world.” Elsewhere Simon George has created a stunning celebration of the art of photojournalism, Will Clark explores the paper’s campaigning ethos through the prism of two famous stories (the MMR vaccine controversy and the Lance Armstrong scandal) and Liz Unna talks to writers including Matthew Parris and Caitlin Moran about words and their craft.
The hope is to build up a bank of films that draw on different aspects of The Times and we are looking forward to seeing what comes next.
- Danish illustrator Rune Fisker’s clean, windswept surrealism
- Filmmaker Alice Dunseath presents a meditative reflection on life
- Edinburgh graduate Jack Fletcher's beautiful woodcut illustrations
- There Is' ace new typographic projects for Wired and New York Times magazine
- Clase bcn's bright but elegant identity for a Barcelona concert hall
- Craig Gibson's photography is sincere and refreshing
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli