If you don’t give a toffee about typography, then the fixation on any font probably seems a touch tedious. But this fantastic new film from Steven Qua for The Times newspapers is an engaging and accessible exploration of this famous typeface, which takes in both its history and its current incarnations at the newspaper for whom it was designed. There’s insights from the likes of Andy Altmann, Marina Willer, Neville Brody and Monotype’s Dan Rhatigan so there’s more than enough here for both the initiated and the as-yet-to-be-converted to enjoy.
It’s part of a series called Unquiet Minds from Grey London, Betsy Works and Phil Lind which aims to “to celebrate the cultural impact The Times has had on Britain and the world.” Elsewhere Simon George has created a stunning celebration of the art of photojournalism, Will Clark explores the paper’s campaigning ethos through the prism of two famous stories (the MMR vaccine controversy and the Lance Armstrong scandal) and Liz Unna talks to writers including Matthew Parris and Caitlin Moran about words and their craft.
The hope is to build up a bank of films that draw on different aspects of The Times and we are looking forward to seeing what comes next.
- Artful fashion reportage from New York photographer Landon Nordeman
- My Name is Wendy creates beautiful posters celebrating French poet Stéphane Mallarmé
- Experiments in geometric shapes, cut-out, collaged and drawn typography by artist Michael Morris
- Gwendal Le Bec’s new website is chock-full of wonderful new work
- Jonny Seymour’s cute and strange photo series of six-year-old Chinese kids’ “graduation”
- Ibán Ramón creates refreshingly simple identity for a Spanish food festival
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Surreal, disturbing, NSFW and utterly thrilling: the work of Jon Rafman
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Ustwo says RELAX! with new meditation app Pause
- Publishing platform Medium launches its new identity