If you don’t give a toffee about typography, then the fixation on any font probably seems a touch tedious. But this fantastic new film from Steven Qua for The Times newspapers is an engaging and accessible exploration of this famous typeface, which takes in both its history and its current incarnations at the newspaper for whom it was designed. There’s insights from the likes of Andy Altmann, Marina Willer, Neville Brody and Monotype’s Dan Rhatigan so there’s more than enough here for both the initiated and the as-yet-to-be-converted to enjoy.
It’s part of a series called Unquiet Minds from Grey London, Betsy Works and Phil Lind which aims to “to celebrate the cultural impact The Times has had on Britain and the world.” Elsewhere Simon George has created a stunning celebration of the art of photojournalism, Will Clark explores the paper’s campaigning ethos through the prism of two famous stories (the MMR vaccine controversy and the Lance Armstrong scandal) and Liz Unna talks to writers including Matthew Parris and Caitlin Moran about words and their craft.
The hope is to build up a bank of films that draw on different aspects of The Times and we are looking forward to seeing what comes next.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant