Tobias’ body of work shows an eye for the surreal and an ability to convey the uncanny within careful crops. His tightly composed photography focuses on the intricacies of the banal, finding form, texture and humour in the everyday. Currently working in the central studio at Education First in Switzerland, the Berlin-based graphic designer, photographer and art director graduated from FH Potsdam in 2014.
Aside from the photography Tobias’ work as an art director shows a different skillset. His lookbooks for Berlin-based lifestyle brand Ucon Athletics reveal an ability to juxtapose his vision with more traditional fashion photography to create a vibrant and intriguing document. In 2014 Tobias designed Streem, an arts magazine in a newspaper format that, like the big issue in the UK, is sold by homeless people in Berlin. This year, alongside his work in Switzerland, Tobias will be producing his own photobook that will explore the interface between photography and CGI.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages