Tobias’ body of work shows an eye for the surreal and an ability to convey the uncanny within careful crops. His tightly composed photography focuses on the intricacies of the banal, finding form, texture and humour in the everyday. Currently working in the central studio at Education First in Switzerland, the Berlin-based graphic designer, photographer and art director graduated from FH Potsdam in 2014.
Aside from the photography Tobias’ work as an art director shows a different skillset. His lookbooks for Berlin-based lifestyle brand Ucon Athletics reveal an ability to juxtapose his vision with more traditional fashion photography to create a vibrant and intriguing document. In 2014 Tobias designed Streem, an arts magazine in a newspaper format that, like the big issue in the UK, is sold by homeless people in Berlin. This year, alongside his work in Switzerland, Tobias will be producing his own photobook that will explore the interface between photography and CGI.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project