Tobias’ body of work shows an eye for the surreal and an ability to convey the uncanny within careful crops. His tightly composed photography focuses on the intricacies of the banal, finding form, texture and humour in the everyday. Currently working in the central studio at Education First in Switzerland, the Berlin-based graphic designer, photographer and art director graduated from FH Potsdam in 2014.
Aside from the photography Tobias’ work as an art director shows a different skillset. His lookbooks for Berlin-based lifestyle brand Ucon Athletics reveal an ability to juxtapose his vision with more traditional fashion photography to create a vibrant and intriguing document. In 2014 Tobias designed Streem, an arts magazine in a newspaper format that, like the big issue in the UK, is sold by homeless people in Berlin. This year, alongside his work in Switzerland, Tobias will be producing his own photobook that will explore the interface between photography and CGI.
- Cornelius de Bill Baboul’s Peelosophies is toilet humour at its finest
- Director I Saw John First creates animated video for Jack Steadman’s solo project, Mr Jukes
- Carlín Díaz expands his practice to psychedelic paintings and animations
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know
- Artist Crys Yin adds comical elements to her simply-executed paintings
- Grilli Type designer Reto Moser shares the books that inspire him
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label