Tobias’ body of work shows an eye for the surreal and an ability to convey the uncanny within careful crops. His tightly composed photography focuses on the intricacies of the banal, finding form, texture and humour in the everyday. Currently working in the central studio at Education First in Switzerland, the Berlin-based graphic designer, photographer and art director graduated from FH Potsdam in 2014.
Aside from the photography Tobias’ work as an art director shows a different skillset. His lookbooks for Berlin-based lifestyle brand Ucon Athletics reveal an ability to juxtapose his vision with more traditional fashion photography to create a vibrant and intriguing document. In 2014 Tobias designed Streem, an arts magazine in a newspaper format that, like the big issue in the UK, is sold by homeless people in Berlin. This year, alongside his work in Switzerland, Tobias will be producing his own photobook that will explore the interface between photography and CGI.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design