Tobias’ body of work shows an eye for the surreal and an ability to convey the uncanny within careful crops. His tightly composed photography focuses on the intricacies of the banal, finding form, texture and humour in the everyday. Currently working in the central studio at Education First in Switzerland, the Berlin-based graphic designer, photographer and art director graduated from FH Potsdam in 2014.
Aside from the photography Tobias’ work as an art director shows a different skillset. His lookbooks for Berlin-based lifestyle brand Ucon Athletics reveal an ability to juxtapose his vision with more traditional fashion photography to create a vibrant and intriguing document. In 2014 Tobias designed Streem, an arts magazine in a newspaper format that, like the big issue in the UK, is sold by homeless people in Berlin. This year, alongside his work in Switzerland, Tobias will be producing his own photobook that will explore the interface between photography and CGI.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU