Nicos and Tom are a powerful animation duo from London whose recent project Tharis Sleeps was perhaps one of the most ambitious stop-motion films made in recent history. If you haven’t checked it out yet, go over here and then buy frames here. If you have, and you are already fans of these very talented young men’s work, have a read of their joint-favourite music video, the classic Money for Nothing by everyone’s Dad’s favourite band, Dire Straits.
Tom Bunker and Nicos Livesy: Dire Straits – Money for Nothing
This was the first video that MTV Europe aired when it launched back in 1987 and it also won video of the year at the 1986 MTV music video awards. At the time of its release Money For Nothing was seen as a pretty groundbreaking music video as it was the first to use 3D animated human characters. This “groundbreaking 3D animation” just looks really crap now… but that’s why we love it so much. It’s also just a bit weird – two strange characters casually packing up boxes whilst watching MTV. It was actually quite a big influence on the video we made for Binary last year, served as quite a good starting point for our research into that project. It’s also a tune! Ha.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August