Having spotted Royal College of Art student Tom Hatfield’s portfolio yesterday through his timely Christmas Tree Sledge, it’s not the only project that catches the eye. Tom has worked professionally as a designer, cabinetmaker and furniture finisher, specialising in antiqued mirror glass and is currently studying towards an MA in Design Products at the RCA. Pictured is Christmas Tree Sledge, made from Christmas trees found on the streets of London. “With roughly 1.7 million trees bought for this recent Christmas period. Using the primitive skills of a bodger, it opens up an inventive feeling of seeing the resources that are around us”.
Tom also adds Christmas Tree Sledge is inspired by Fabien Cappello and his use of discarded trees to make furniture. Also pictured are Blooming Bench, a self-watering flowerpot bench designed for Benchmark Furniture. Angled at one degree it cleverly allows water to run down the bench into the pot so you’ll never have to worry about watering your plants or herbs again. Also pictured are Gym Bench and Vaulting Boxes, both inspired from gym equipment.
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Clément Le Tulle-Neyret's considered approach to Strange Designs
- Manita Songserm disregards the rules to create unruly and intriguing work
- Give thanks, and join us in the weekly feast that is the Best of the Web
- Discos and design explored in gorgeous new Bedford Press book Nightswimming
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?