Having spotted Royal College of Art student Tom Hatfield’s portfolio yesterday through his timely Christmas Tree Sledge, it’s not the only project that catches the eye. Tom has worked professionally as a designer, cabinetmaker and furniture finisher, specialising in antiqued mirror glass and is currently studying towards an MA in Design Products at the RCA. Pictured is Christmas Tree Sledge, made from Christmas trees found on the streets of London. “With roughly 1.7 million trees bought for this recent Christmas period. Using the primitive skills of a bodger, it opens up an inventive feeling of seeing the resources that are around us”.
Tom also adds Christmas Tree Sledge is inspired by Fabien Cappello and his use of discarded trees to make furniture. Also pictured are Blooming Bench, a self-watering flowerpot bench designed for Benchmark Furniture. Angled at one degree it cleverly allows water to run down the bench into the pot so you’ll never have to worry about watering your plants or herbs again. Also pictured are Gym Bench and Vaulting Boxes, both inspired from gym equipment.
- Sean and Seng travelled to Mongolia to shoot for Arena Homme+
- Joshua T Gibbons provides an insight into the relaxed bachelor lifestyle of Cockney Stan
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Latvian illustrator Zane Zlemeša's delicately painted drawings
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Linda Brownlee’s beautiful photography book captures family life in a Sicilian village
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich