Having spotted Royal College of Art student Tom Hatfield’s portfolio yesterday through his timely Christmas Tree Sledge, it’s not the only project that catches the eye. Tom has worked professionally as a designer, cabinetmaker and furniture finisher, specialising in antiqued mirror glass and is currently studying towards an MA in Design Products at the RCA. Pictured is Christmas Tree Sledge, made from Christmas trees found on the streets of London. “With roughly 1.7 million trees bought for this recent Christmas period. Using the primitive skills of a bodger, it opens up an inventive feeling of seeing the resources that are around us”.
Tom also adds Christmas Tree Sledge is inspired by Fabien Cappello and his use of discarded trees to make furniture. Also pictured are Blooming Bench, a self-watering flowerpot bench designed for Benchmark Furniture. Angled at one degree it cleverly allows water to run down the bench into the pot so you’ll never have to worry about watering your plants or herbs again. Also pictured are Gym Bench and Vaulting Boxes, both inspired from gym equipment.
- Gorgeous Memphis-inspired, primary colour-packed work from Benjamin Rawson
- A cacophony of styles come together for this wacky promo animation for Gutter Fest
- The mesmerising graphic design of mid-century typewriter manufacturer Olivetti
- Warriors Studio and Freytag Anderson explore process and dialogue in new identity for GDFS 16
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"