I’ll let you in on a secret, I don’t go out all that much. I consider myself to be more of an ale-swilling, peanut-eating kind of nightlife lover than a stay-up-all-night cocktails and voguing type of guy. But I’m starting to think that maybe that’s just because there aren’t many clubs and bars making great promo material. Maybe if London’s nighttime venues put a little more effort into their posters and flyers I could be coaxed from my comfy bar stool onto a thumping dance floor and have my pint switched for a daiquiri.
Take Helsinki-based designer Toni Halonen for example. From where I’m sat it looks like he’s the king of the Finnish club scene; his brightly coloured posters summoning the country’s fashionable types to put on their glad-rags and hit the town. With a whole range of Scandinavian trend-setters calling on his services and Heineken commissioning him to up their levels of cool it’s safe to say he’s got his niche nailed. And with work like this it’s no wonder. I mean, when was the last time you saw an exquisite chrome fish promoting a night at the Ministry of Sound? You didn’t. But like me, if you had you’d probably have gone and had a great night out. Probably.
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- Introducing Tranny Boxing: glamour, grit, guts and glory captured in east London-based film
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)