I’ll let you in on a secret, I don’t go out all that much. I consider myself to be more of an ale-swilling, peanut-eating kind of nightlife lover than a stay-up-all-night cocktails and voguing type of guy. But I’m starting to think that maybe that’s just because there aren’t many clubs and bars making great promo material. Maybe if London’s nighttime venues put a little more effort into their posters and flyers I could be coaxed from my comfy bar stool onto a thumping dance floor and have my pint switched for a daiquiri.
Take Helsinki-based designer Toni Halonen for example. From where I’m sat it looks like he’s the king of the Finnish club scene; his brightly coloured posters summoning the country’s fashionable types to put on their glad-rags and hit the town. With a whole range of Scandinavian trend-setters calling on his services and Heineken commissioning him to up their levels of cool it’s safe to say he’s got his niche nailed. And with work like this it’s no wonder. I mean, when was the last time you saw an exquisite chrome fish promoting a night at the Ministry of Sound? You didn’t. But like me, if you had you’d probably have gone and had a great night out. Probably.
- Milou Trouwborst's refined, simplistic and melancholic illustrations
- "It was strangely liberating" – Christoph Niemann on creating his new book Sunday Sketching
- Designer Okuyama Taiki encourages you to “play freely” with his experimental posters
- Gijs Henselmans’ illustrations: absurd, gruesome, but always hilarious
- All That Glitters: inside the Barbican’s “vulgar” catalogue
- Graphic designer Fraser Muggeridge talks to us about his favourite books
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design