I’ll let you in on a secret, I don’t go out all that much. I consider myself to be more of an ale-swilling, peanut-eating kind of nightlife lover than a stay-up-all-night cocktails and voguing type of guy. But I’m starting to think that maybe that’s just because there aren’t many clubs and bars making great promo material. Maybe if London’s nighttime venues put a little more effort into their posters and flyers I could be coaxed from my comfy bar stool onto a thumping dance floor and have my pint switched for a daiquiri.
Take Helsinki-based designer Toni Halonen for example. From where I’m sat it looks like he’s the king of the Finnish club scene; his brightly coloured posters summoning the country’s fashionable types to put on their glad-rags and hit the town. With a whole range of Scandinavian trend-setters calling on his services and Heineken commissioning him to up their levels of cool it’s safe to say he’s got his niche nailed. And with work like this it’s no wonder. I mean, when was the last time you saw an exquisite chrome fish promoting a night at the Ministry of Sound? You didn’t. But like me, if you had you’d probably have gone and had a great night out. Probably.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"