I’ll let you in on a secret, I don’t go out all that much. I consider myself to be more of an ale-swilling, peanut-eating kind of nightlife lover than a stay-up-all-night cocktails and voguing type of guy. But I’m starting to think that maybe that’s just because there aren’t many clubs and bars making great promo material. Maybe if London’s nighttime venues put a little more effort into their posters and flyers I could be coaxed from my comfy bar stool onto a thumping dance floor and have my pint switched for a daiquiri.
Take Helsinki-based designer Toni Halonen for example. From where I’m sat it looks like he’s the king of the Finnish club scene; his brightly coloured posters summoning the country’s fashionable types to put on their glad-rags and hit the town. With a whole range of Scandinavian trend-setters calling on his services and Heineken commissioning him to up their levels of cool it’s safe to say he’s got his niche nailed. And with work like this it’s no wonder. I mean, when was the last time you saw an exquisite chrome fish promoting a night at the Ministry of Sound? You didn’t. But like me, if you had you’d probably have gone and had a great night out. Probably.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs