Unless you’ve had your eyes firmly closed for the past five years (in which case you may have struggled to appreciate any of the work documented on It’s Nice That) you’ll know that graphic design is undergoing a slow but purposeful metamorphosis, at least in some areas. A hardcore faction of designers are moving away from the Swiss Style rulebook and embracing increasingly more daring aesthetic and geometric arrangements, eschewing crisp white space and Grotesk type in favour of vibrant gradients and the occasional flourish of Blackletter.
Somewhere in the middle of this movement sits Two Points Studio who are both working with and documenting the “Pretty Ugly” aesthetic, recently producing a volume for Gestalten that highlights the very best of the style. Aside from a striking body of editorial work, that also includes a series dedicated to glorifying a variety of type faces, they’ve produced posters, websites, identities and illustrations for a wide variety of clients that, rather refreshingly for “Pretty Ugly” practitioners, aren’t simply limited to the creative sector.
As with all creative movements “Pretty Ugly” has its nay-sayers, but a thorough exploration of Two Points’ portfolio reveals a coherent, communicative oeuvre that, personal tastes aside, is just plain old, great design.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)