Unless you’ve had your eyes firmly closed for the past five years (in which case you may have struggled to appreciate any of the work documented on It’s Nice That) you’ll know that graphic design is undergoing a slow but purposeful metamorphosis, at least in some areas. A hardcore faction of designers are moving away from the Swiss Style rulebook and embracing increasingly more daring aesthetic and geometric arrangements, eschewing crisp white space and Grotesk type in favour of vibrant gradients and the occasional flourish of Blackletter.
Somewhere in the middle of this movement sits Two Points Studio who are both working with and documenting the “Pretty Ugly” aesthetic, recently producing a volume for Gestalten that highlights the very best of the style. Aside from a striking body of editorial work, that also includes a series dedicated to glorifying a variety of type faces, they’ve produced posters, websites, identities and illustrations for a wide variety of clients that, rather refreshingly for “Pretty Ugly” practitioners, aren’t simply limited to the creative sector.
As with all creative movements “Pretty Ugly” has its nay-sayers, but a thorough exploration of Two Points’ portfolio reveals a coherent, communicative oeuvre that, personal tastes aside, is just plain old, great design.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know