Typography fetishists – assemble! The New York based Type Directors Club has revealed the winners of its communication design, typeface design and title design awards and as ever it’s a fountain of font-based fabulousness (our words, not theirs). With over 1,600 entries from 33 countries (although 52% from the USA) it’s a mammoth task to whittle down to some semblance of winners and in all well over 200 projects were garlanded.
In the interests of then of time, space and sanity we have decided to showcase the judges’ choice winners, where it was a delight to see student work honoured alongside titans of the typographic world like Rogers Eckersley Design and EdenSpiekermann.
These last two took prizes for self promotion and the Red Bull Music Academy website, but special mentions to the Playtype website, Cesar Puertas’ typeface for Columbian newspaper La República and Lorenz Klingebiel and Nicolas Kremershof’s brilliant poster.
Paula Scher of Pentagram is designing Typography 33 featuring the winners which will be out at the end of the year.
- Animator Hoji Tsuchiya's patchwork video for Japanese singer Uri Nakayama
- Art editor of The Paris Review, Charlotte Strick on her most-treasured tomes
- Swiss zine highlights the many times The Simpsons has predicted the future
- Twelve studio’s rippling identity for Beijing new media studio
- Mumbai-based artist Yashasvi Mathis' unconventional take on the world
- Gufram, the iconic funhouse bridging the gap between design and art
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August