The bombardment has begun and you can’t move in London at the moment for mentions of you-know-which sporting event – I even saw a tampons advert which managed to shoehorn in a high jumper. But cynicism aside, these Typographic Tree Rings are real winners. Measuring 15 metres in diameter and made from phosphored bronze and stainless steel, the ten rings tell the story of the east London site which is about to be thrust into the worldwide limelight.
Artists Heather Ackroyd and Dan Harvey wrote the text which appears on the sculptures, based on the work of Lucy Harrison who collected information from the local communities and combined it with archaeological research from the Museum of London. Pentagram’s Harry Pearce and Naresh Ramchandani then made the plans a reality.
“Heather and Dan worked and reworked on the words until they were perfect pieces of verbal archeology, juxtaposing objects, memories and feelings about London in a way that is evocative, playful and rhythmic,” Naresh said. Harry then set about redrawing Akzidenz Grotesque into a “playfully decorative version” and the final pieces are evocative, powerful reminders that the next few weeks is merely the next chapter for an area with a rih natural and social history.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery