The bombardment has begun and you can’t move in London at the moment for mentions of you-know-which sporting event – I even saw a tampons advert which managed to shoehorn in a high jumper. But cynicism aside, these Typographic Tree Rings are real winners. Measuring 15 metres in diameter and made from phosphored bronze and stainless steel, the ten rings tell the story of the east London site which is about to be thrust into the worldwide limelight.
Artists Heather Ackroyd and Dan Harvey wrote the text which appears on the sculptures, based on the work of Lucy Harrison who collected information from the local communities and combined it with archaeological research from the Museum of London. Pentagram’s Harry Pearce and Naresh Ramchandani then made the plans a reality.
“Heather and Dan worked and reworked on the words until they were perfect pieces of verbal archeology, juxtaposing objects, memories and feelings about London in a way that is evocative, playful and rhythmic,” Naresh said. Harry then set about redrawing Akzidenz Grotesque into a “playfully decorative version” and the final pieces are evocative, powerful reminders that the next few weeks is merely the next chapter for an area with a rih natural and social history.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant