Now before I get started here I feel I need to get two things straight. The first is that beauty really and truly is in the eye of the beholder. The second is if one of these is your house, I’m really sorry. Please refer back to point number one.
Still, this blog Ugly Belgian Houses run by Hannes Coudenys has been doing the rounds of late and I won’t apologise for the chuckles that snuck out while I was scrolling through it. It does exactly what it sets out to do, as the bio explains, “because Belgian houses suck. Even mine. Seriously.” And although I’m sure architects all over Belgium have poured millions of euros and a ton of time into creating these dream homes, some of them are really funny-looking. If anything’s going to make you proud of your nice little boring flat then this is it. Look, point and laugh! The real inhabitants can’t hear you!
- Activism, raving and vintage cookbooks – highlights from Nicer Tuesdays June
- Patrick Savile’s dreamy designs draw from 70s airbrush art, Roger Dean and Turing patterns
- Illustrator Nathan Cowdry depicts an unusual dialogue between two strangers in his new comic, Shiner
- Our round-up of this year’s UK grad show identities and show designs
- Nathalie du Pasquier opens first solo show in UK for almost 25 years
- Photographer Ian Kenneth Bird shares his top photobooks
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy