If you too have an obsession with print that verges on the unhealthy, then chances are you’ll have come across Under Consideration’s network of sites. Across For Print Only, Brand New, Art of the Menu and Quipsologies the design studio/publishers run by Bryony Gomez-Palacio and Armin Vit share their passion for all things print. Now this online platform has taken the obvious but very welcome step of producing its own publication, UC.Quarterly, which presents a selection of some of the best bits of the blogs.
The work is presented with no explanatory text, just a link to the original article because the new title is intended “not as a comprehensive report but a heavily-packed, assorted collection of projects worth exploring on each own’s time.”
The hand-bound covers of the first issue are made using reclaimed makeready and test sheets from printers; a nice touch reflecting the tome’s raison d’être.
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Artist Esther Watson reimagines the flying saucers her dad created as a child
- Clara von Zweigbergk talks us through her art direction for Danish brand Hay
- John Molesworth illustrates the hustle and bustle of Record Store Day 2017
- “The artistic process becomes a form of yoga”: artist Christopher Davison
- More vibrant, goblin-like characters from illustrator Alex Jenkins
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices