If you too have an obsession with print that verges on the unhealthy, then chances are you’ll have come across Under Consideration’s network of sites. Across For Print Only, Brand New, Art of the Menu and Quipsologies the design studio/publishers run by Bryony Gomez-Palacio and Armin Vit share their passion for all things print. Now this online platform has taken the obvious but very welcome step of producing its own publication, UC.Quarterly, which presents a selection of some of the best bits of the blogs.
The work is presented with no explanatory text, just a link to the original article because the new title is intended “not as a comprehensive report but a heavily-packed, assorted collection of projects worth exploring on each own’s time.”
The hand-bound covers of the first issue are made using reclaimed makeready and test sheets from printers; a nice touch reflecting the tome’s raison d’être.
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”