The fine fellows at one of our favourite digital design agencies ustwo™ have always thrilled us with their willingness to mix client work with self-initiated projects that take their fancy. The latest fruits of their labours is rando, an app which they describe as “an experimental photo exchange platform for people who like photography.”
The core idea is simplicity itself – users can upload one photo that is then shared with someone else who has the app completely at random (think Chat Roulette without the weirdos). The whole exchange is completely anonymous and is designed to reclaim photography from the clutches of a digital world defined by social media mores.
As ustwo say: “It has been purposefully removed from the conventions of photo sharing apps (within reason). No likes, no comments, no direct communication. Just rando. An appreciation of fine photography.”
Many people complain that the online world removes that element of happenstance with makes real life so interesting and rando is an attempt to recapture a sense of serendipity. It will be interesting to see how the platform develops over time and it’s a joy as ever to see ustwo™ pushing the boundaries.
You can download the app here
- Design's many, many layers, and the power of music, at Nicer Tuesdays July
- It’s just life: The democratic eye of William Eggleston
- Tim Lahan is the new Mystic Meg with horoscope illustrations for Elle Magazine
- Musical instruments with a modernist aesthetic by Hundo
- Former Buzzcocks drummer John Maher exhibits his photography work in Nobody's Home
- Monument Valley creator ustwo gives us a peek at its bookshelf
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale