The fine fellows at one of our favourite digital design agencies ustwo™ have always thrilled us with their willingness to mix client work with self-initiated projects that take their fancy. The latest fruits of their labours is rando, an app which they describe as “an experimental photo exchange platform for people who like photography.”
The core idea is simplicity itself – users can upload one photo that is then shared with someone else who has the app completely at random (think Chat Roulette without the weirdos). The whole exchange is completely anonymous and is designed to reclaim photography from the clutches of a digital world defined by social media mores.
As ustwo say: “It has been purposefully removed from the conventions of photo sharing apps (within reason). No likes, no comments, no direct communication. Just rando. An appreciation of fine photography.”
Many people complain that the online world removes that element of happenstance with makes real life so interesting and rando is an attempt to recapture a sense of serendipity. It will be interesting to see how the platform develops over time and it’s a joy as ever to see ustwo™ pushing the boundaries.
You can download the app here
- Mainframe turns the movements of recognisable objects on their head
- Local Characters: Anna Kulachek typographically depicts her hometown of Moscow
- Illustrator and animator Steph Hope’s cast of weird and wonderful characters
- Interactive magazine The Exposed searches for utopia in issue two
- Street View: Photographs of Urban Life, displays 100 years of photography
- Photographer Yael Malka’s work is about “intimacy, tension, love, trust and sex”
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant