Photographer Vicki King has a truly magical view of the world through her enchantingly hue-filled lens. Born in the Midlands and now based in London following a degree at London College of Communication, Vicki’s portfolio features a lush bunch of commissions from British and US Vogue, i-D and Isabel Marant to name just a few.
“Since discovering photography, mostly by accident, she has become fascinated with the emotionality of images – using the medium to create a space that lies somewhere between the real and the imagined,” explains the photographer’s biography. “Her work concerns itself with the fine details of colour, light, texture and the body alongside astronomical and intangible elements such as space, alchemy, hyper-reality, nature; and the emotional connotations attached to them.”
This mention of detail is a key counterpart to what makes Vicki’s images so beguiling. Photographs taken outdoors on location appear like alternate realities, mirroring pink shaded lakes and composing models so that even a hail-bale looks like a glamorous prop. Light and shadow are also used inspiringly, whether it be using a plant to initiate shadows or using spotlights to enhance to the detail of clothing.
Most recently, Vicki is currently working on an “ongoing collaborative project with sex and cinema collective, A Four Chambered Heart,” she says. The project will explore “the fantastical and conceptual potential of sexual media” and if Vicki’s current work is anything to go by, we expect to be mesmerised yet again.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU