Debates will always rage over the merit of creative awards and the value of pitting diverse projects against each other, but at the very least they act as interesting bellwethers of the Zeigeist. This is especially true of the Vimeo awards which has the admirable ambition of recognising the very best work uploaded on the site across 13 categories.
The gongs were handed out in New York last night with Everynone’s Symmetry (above) taking the grand prize. A simple idea executed beautifully and packing an unexpected pathos, it’s not only a worthy winner but also reflects the current taste for anti-slick understatement.
Elsewhere the animation prize went to Malcolm Sutherland’s haunting otherworldly Umbra, it was a thrill to see The History of the Title Sequence take Best Motion graphics and the hilariously direct K-Swiss Kenny Powers anti-ad scooped the advertising prize.
Well done to all the winners, enjoy them all below…
Best Animation – Malcolm Sutherland: Umbra
Best Motion Graphics – Jurjen Versteeg: A History of the Title Sequence
Best Advertising – Caviar: K-Swiss – Kenny Powers MFCEO
Best Experimental – Cockau: Prie Dieu
Best Fashion: Academy Plus: Mulberry Skirt
Best Captured: Sweatshope: Video Painting Europe
Best Remix: Jeff Desom: Rear Window Timelapse
Best Action Sports – Astray Films: Dark Side of the Lens
Best Series – All Aces Media: Often Awesome
Best Documentary – Pilgrim Films: Amar
Best Narrative – Ruairi Robinson: Blinky
Best Music Video – Daniels: Simple Math
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round