Debates will always rage over the merit of creative awards and the value of pitting diverse projects against each other, but at the very least they act as interesting bellwethers of the Zeigeist. This is especially true of the Vimeo awards which has the admirable ambition of recognising the very best work uploaded on the site across 13 categories.
The gongs were handed out in New York last night with Everynone’s Symmetry (above) taking the grand prize. A simple idea executed beautifully and packing an unexpected pathos, it’s not only a worthy winner but also reflects the current taste for anti-slick understatement.
Elsewhere the animation prize went to Malcolm Sutherland’s haunting otherworldly Umbra, it was a thrill to see The History of the Title Sequence take Best Motion graphics and the hilariously direct K-Swiss Kenny Powers anti-ad scooped the advertising prize.
Well done to all the winners, enjoy them all below…
Best Animation – Malcolm Sutherland: Umbra
Best Motion Graphics – Jurjen Versteeg: A History of the Title Sequence
Best Advertising – Caviar: K-Swiss – Kenny Powers MFCEO
Best Experimental – Cockau: Prie Dieu
Best Fashion: Academy Plus: Mulberry Skirt
Best Captured: Sweatshope: Video Painting Europe
Best Remix: Jeff Desom: Rear Window Timelapse
Best Action Sports – Astray Films: Dark Side of the Lens
Best Series – All Aces Media: Often Awesome
Best Documentary – Pilgrim Films: Amar
Best Narrative – Ruairi Robinson: Blinky
Best Music Video – Daniels: Simple Math
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s