Debates will always rage over the merit of creative awards and the value of pitting diverse projects against each other, but at the very least they act as interesting bellwethers of the Zeigeist. This is especially true of the Vimeo awards which has the admirable ambition of recognising the very best work uploaded on the site across 13 categories.
The gongs were handed out in New York last night with Everynone’s Symmetry (above) taking the grand prize. A simple idea executed beautifully and packing an unexpected pathos, it’s not only a worthy winner but also reflects the current taste for anti-slick understatement.
Elsewhere the animation prize went to Malcolm Sutherland’s haunting otherworldly Umbra, it was a thrill to see The History of the Title Sequence take Best Motion graphics and the hilariously direct K-Swiss Kenny Powers anti-ad scooped the advertising prize.
Well done to all the winners, enjoy them all below…
Best Animation – Malcolm Sutherland: Umbra
Best Motion Graphics – Jurjen Versteeg: A History of the Title Sequence
Best Advertising – Caviar: K-Swiss – Kenny Powers MFCEO
Best Experimental – Cockau: Prie Dieu
Best Fashion: Academy Plus: Mulberry Skirt
Best Captured: Sweatshope: Video Painting Europe
Best Remix: Jeff Desom: Rear Window Timelapse
Best Action Sports – Astray Films: Dark Side of the Lens
Best Series – All Aces Media: Often Awesome
Best Documentary – Pilgrim Films: Amar
Best Narrative – Ruairi Robinson: Blinky
Best Music Video – Daniels: Simple Math
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale