There is always a lot of expectation when Visual Editions promise a new release. Expecting the unexpected is somewhat of a by-line to their design-led challenges of a conventional reading experiencel; case in point, Jonathan Safran Foer’s Tree of Codes, an extraordinary die-cut novel that invites you to read between the negative spaces.
This time they’re offering us: “A Great Story. That is Also Great Looking” What a line so yes please. Kapow! by Adam Thirlwell is a thing of confidence – both in terms of design (by the ever-good Studio Frith) and writing. Moving you literally about the page, the words take a reader between Cairo and London, from the top of the page, down and diagonally across, it’s as dynamic an object as the story it’s depicting. A writer, reflecting on the events of the Arab Spring and the global unrest it spawned, uses a digressive and real-time written tactics to reflect the perspective of all the news, all-at-once while maintaining a “Bollywood style” love story.
In a format that could only ever be realised in print, Visual Editions and their boundary pushing authors are keeping warm a spot close to all book-lovers hearts.
- Anna Haas’ structured yet anarchic approach to graphic design
- “Made for designers, not 3D experts”: Adobe Stock demystifies 3D renders
- Tanawat Sakdawisarak’s crisp illustrations reference pop music and video games
- Photographer Jay Wolke remembers gambling spots in the US during the 80s and 90s
- Chaz Bundick talks us through the new digitally personable Company website
- Animator Frances Haszard’s gender neutral breakup story
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books